Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Winch mount opinions

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Trail X » Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 pm

You also don't always have a tree in front and in back.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Sat May 25, 2013 11:13 pm

v7guy wrote:
ok, I'm feeling a little less lazy at the moment. I also think we're basically arguing the same point. I reread my post and I wasn't terribly clear.

I just watched the two videos side by side and paused when we took different amounts of time to come down the ledge. We took fairly similar lines from what I could tell. The camera angle changed a smidge in my video while the filming was going on, but our tire path seems very very close. Our approach angle did differ a bit and that's why my drivers side tire was higher up for longer on the rock. Most importantly, at the end, we both had both rear wheels on the top of the ledge and both front wheels on the bottom. I would think our angle to the ground was very similar.

But this kinda illustrates my point that a hitch mounted winch or a solid mounted winch really doesn't make a difference. You still never hit despite being a lot lower than I am and having a winch that sticks out farther. In most instances your setup still works just as well as my setup. Yeah, you can move it to the rear. But if I had the snatch blocks and more line I would be inclined to use that even if my winch was hitch mounted. Just cause I wouldn't have to lug around the winch. It's probably a little bit more light work and would take a little bit longer, but I'd rather carry around 25 lbs of stuff and run the blocks/cable/rope instead of moving the winch. I could see maybe wanting more cable/rope and snatch blocks since I can't move my winch, but I could also use a pull pal in many situations to alleviate all that, or just to add to my choices.
I've never ran into a situation where I wish my winch was hitch mounted, then you have yourself and Kyle who has never had an issue with your winch being hitch mounted. I know both Kyle and myself has lost oil pressure climbing hills. I just don't think it makes any difference as long as you are equipped to work with what you have.

It comes down to personal preference. What you want to do and what will work in the areas you are are predominately wheeling in. If you prepare for what you have built and are willing to deal with the compromises you're good to go. You just have to know what you have and what you are potentially going to have to work with.

I still think getting cable and attaching connectors seem like a lot of work, you underestimate the power of my lazy. :raspberry:

Similar lines, yes, but you stayed on the rock with the driver's side for like 2' longer than I did, and that was the difference. It's a bit of a low spot when I slid down on the driver front, which made it worse.

But yes, for the most part, you have to be doing stuff that not many people do with this platform for it to matter either way.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Shdwdrgn » Wed May 29, 2013 2:02 pm

So what kind of considerations do you take into account when mounting a winch? For instance, I built my front bumper from 3/16" steel. My pushbar is modeled after my original WAAG, but the cross piece and sides are also built from 3/16" (with a 1" lip under the cross-piece for extra strength). Would this be strong enough to mount a 9000# winch directly to, or would I make another 3/16 plate underneath the winch to give a thicker footing? If using the extra plate, would you suggest just a flat piece of steel, or would it be of any help to use something like 1" square tubing as rails for the plate to sit on?

I can see the obvious basics... when you pull with a winch, it will want to roll towards the load, and I want to try and prevent the steel from warping underneath it. I've just never worked with these high of forces before, so I don't know what lifting the weight of the truck would do to the 3/16" steel.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bartonmd » Wed May 29, 2013 4:55 pm

Shdwdrgn wrote:So what kind of considerations do you take into account when mounting a winch? For instance, I built my front bumper from 3/16" steel. My pushbar is modeled after my original WAAG, but the cross piece and sides are also built from 3/16" (with a 1" lip under the cross-piece for extra strength). Would this be strong enough to mount a 9000# winch directly to, or would I make another 3/16 plate underneath the winch to give a thicker footing? If using the extra plate, would you suggest just a flat piece of steel, or would it be of any help to use something like 1" square tubing as rails for the plate to sit on?

I can see the obvious basics... when you pull with a winch, it will want to roll towards the load, and I want to try and prevent the steel from warping underneath it. I've just never worked with these high of forces before, so I don't know what lifting the weight of the truck would do to the 3/16" steel.

Depends totally on the design, as to if it's strong enough in what direction, or not. I'm too lazy to dig for them. Post pictures of where you want to mount it, and what the back side of your bumper looks like, as well as the front side.

Mike
bartonmd

by Shdwdrgn » Wed May 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Well this is about as good of inside shot as any...
http://sourpuss.net/projects/vehicles/t ... g_7202.jpg

These are not a great angle, but it shows the top of the bumper and the center shelf across the pushbar. There's actually 5-6" of space between the front of the shelf and the grill.
http://sourpuss.net/projects/vehicles/t ... g_7227.jpg
http://sourpuss.net/projects/vehicles/t ... g_7223.jpg

The idea was to mount a winch right on top of the bumper, so the back bolts are through the bumper, and the front bolts are through the shelf.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by bartonmd » Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 pm

OK, yeah. Because of the vertical supports from the top to the upper frame mount, I'd do it. However, I'd put a single piece of 7ga or 1/4" across from the top of the bumper to the top of the guard. I would also put a 1" flange going downward at the rear.

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Wow, impressive work. I have nothing else to really add except 1/4" is probably as close to the standard for most 10k winch plates as we have.
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 am

@bartonmd - You say a 1" flange going down at the rear... do you mean on the inside of the bumper? There's no space to put that on the back of the 7ga and drop it behind the bumper. And yeah, those vertical supports were added specifically with a winch in mind... not that I really knew what I was doing :-)

@JamesDowning - I thought you'd seen my bumper build thread from the other site? The entire set of pics is at http://sourpuss.net/projects/vehicles/t ... nt_bumper/ from the cardboard mockup to the primer coat. I still haven't worked out my hitch pin mechanism, and I eventually plan to color-match the bumper like the original was.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by bartonmd » Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am

Doesn't have to be behind what you've got. It can be under the top of the bumper, and not have it go back any farther than it does, now. Weld the winch plate to the top of the bumper, and weld the flange to the under-side of the top of the bumper.

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Thu May 30, 2013 11:26 am

What other site?? There's another offroadtb site??

I'll have to look through your pics!
Trail X
Founder

by bartonmd » Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 am

JamesDowning wrote:What other site?? There's another offroadtb site??

I'll have to look through your pics!

He did his several-month bumper build in a thread on GMTN.

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm

I figured as much... just wanted to drive home my noncomprehension of that decision.
Trail X
Founder

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:52 pm

I did a little mock up of the winch mount I'm wanting to build.
Has anyone considered notching the top plate to move the winch back further?
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1376769105321.jpg
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Shdwdrgn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:01 pm

What about raising your plate slightly so that it slides over the top of the hitch? Since your tow rings are right there, you might also consider extending a bar across the back side of the winch mount to sit on top of those and provide more lateral support as well (just sitting on top of the mounting points for the tow rings, not actually using the top rings themselves).
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:07 pm

That was another thought I had. I'm not sure I would use the tow hooks in any way, but raising it above the lip of the hitch might serve the same purpose.
ErikSS
Lifer

by djthumper » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:24 pm

ErikSS wrote:That was another thought I had. I'm not sure I would use the tow hooks in any way, but raising it above the lip of the hitch might serve the same purpose.

When you do that you will end up needing access to them...
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:32 pm

djthumper wrote:When you do that you will end up needing access to them...

I would still be narrow enough to access them. I'm thinking I would move the winch up 3/8" then back 1 1/2" or just straight back. I worry bringing it up will cause weak joints. I'm waiting for Barton to put his 2 cents worth in here. I'm sure (and hoping) it's coming.
ErikSS
Lifer

by bartonmd » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:20 pm

I briefly considered raising the winch plate and cantilevering it back so that the back of the plate was at the front of the bumper. However, I didn't do it, because that would preclude me from putting the winch on the stock rear hitch, and many other hitches that it would/could go on, in a pinch.

Mike
bartonmd

by ErikSS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:42 pm

bartonmd wrote:I briefly considered raising the winch plate and cantilevering it back so that the back of the plate was at the front of the bumper. However, I didn't do it, because that would preclude me from putting the winch on the stock rear hitch, and many other hitches that it would/could go on, in a pinch.

Mike

Ah HAH! There is a reason I ask questions before I start cutting. Thanks for the tip Mike. I intend to be able to use the winch on the front and the back.
ErikSS
Lifer

by boog2006 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376869077.193200.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376869087.999153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376869103.847721.jpg

Got to looking at mine after reading this thread and noticed the hitch mount has been twisted...now what to do?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion