Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

ready to go

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by PNutty » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:23 pm

well, got high centered on a dirt clod in borrego last weekend. it was just the motivation i needed to buy the recovery gear i was putting off. now im ready to get stuck again. any takers?
PNutty

Name: Steven
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Dibs!!
:need pics:
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Man, you went out there without calling me? Gotta train these noobs better than that. :facepalm:

I'm busy this weekend, but looking for somebody to go with the next weekend. Want to drive over to Vista and take a look at the Roadiemobile Sunday?

Where were you stuck?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by PNutty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm

ill have to get the picks from one of the guys i was with. he was too busy taking pictures to help dig me out anyway.

roadie, sounds good. you just let me know a time. i started at buttes pass and i was making my way to cut across trail when i got stuck. it took a little tugging but we got it out pretty quickly.
PNutty

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Cool. My favorite camping is in Hawk Canyon off Butte Pass trail. Unless you went east on Goat Trail I don't see a place to get high centered. Assume you were with trucks who have gone before, even if they weren't helpful for a tug? Been exploring ABSP's 500 miles of trails for eight years now.
The Roadie
Founder

by PNutty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 am

there was a lot of people over by hawk canyon when i was out there. the guy i was with has been out with me a few times before but he had no wheeling experience before i got him into it. now he cant wait to go every weekend. we're going this weekend but havent decided where yet. the area i got stuck was a little bit off the trail. it wasnt really any difficult terrain. it think it was mostly just because im stock. if i had lockers it wouldnt have been an issue. live and learn though. any suggestions for this weekend?
PNutty

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 am

PNutty wrote:there was a lot of people over by hawk canyon when i was out there. the guy i was with has been out with me a few times before but he had no wheeling experience before i got him into it. now he cant wait to go every weekend. we're going this weekend but havent decided where yet. the area i got stuck was a little bit off the trail. it wasnt really any difficult terrain. it think it was mostly just because im stock. if i had lockers it wouldnt have been an issue. live and learn though. any suggestions for this weekend?

I'd say that's your problem.
My guess of Roadie's reply... "DOH! Tread lightly! Stay on trail! $230 fine! I need to teach you noobs better! Once upon a time..."
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am

Yah, there's 500 miles of legal trails, and you get a ticket if they see you parked or driving more than a car length or two (I think the rule says 20 feet.) There are VERY valid environmental reasons for this. Next time, stop at the Visitor Center and talk to a ranger or volunteer and learn more about the park and the history and the ecology. And peruse the bookstore for maps. Don't just do a hit and run day trip if you have a chance to learn about the history.

For free-for-all off-trail riding, stay in the Ocotillo Wells OHV area. Maps for that are available at the Visitor Center or the Ranger Station just west of Main Street intersection with 78.

I took Teebes out while he was stock, after he contacted me by way of Youtube after he got stuck the first time he went out alone. He was in Short Wash, I think - just east of Font's Point Wash. For stock, I'd recommend the northern part of the park. Font's Point, Short Wash, Vista del Malpais. Or go to the center of Borrego - Christmas Circle - then east to the town dump, then south a bit, then east. You should be able to find your way to San Filipe Wash where Buttes Pass dumps you out. Avoid the Borrego Sink at all costs.

Find the Galleta Meadows / Dennis Avery steel sculptures. All of 'em.

I just got booked up by other repairs this weekend. Have fun! Have an emergency plan.
The Roadie
Founder

by PNutty » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:21 pm

thanks for the info, Roadie. we're going to figure out today where we're going so i'll let you know. give me a call if you have some spare time this weekend to show me the roadiemobile.
PNutty

Return to Off Road Discussion