Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Storing maps and books

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by teebes » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:10 am

On my last trip I couldn't help but notice the headroom in my TB (without a sun/moon roof). I'm contemplating adding a cargo net type deal to keep loose paper maps, pamphlets and 'stuff' up there. Nothing too heavy that could bonk my head, of course.

Thoughts or other idea's? :friday:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by cbbryan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:48 am

You should try installing one of these :idea: haha. I just realized that I just solved the cargo organizer crisis we've been having. We've all been to gung ho to build, cut, and mod to see how simple it really is.
Attachments
file cabinet.jpg
Here you go Philberto!
(33.84 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 am

:poke: somebody mention me? errm... it was actually cbbryan asking, but thanks for thinking of me :finger: :slap:

I like the idea of a cargo net on the head area, since I'm another one without moonroof, but I think that it would be necessary to anchor it to the underside of the roof rather than the headliner. Let me know what kind of cargo net you find for it, because I'm not exactly sure where to look for a custom dimension cargo net.

I wouldn't use that to store documents though. Most documents I need, I usually just scan in and store on a USB drive. Takes a lot less space.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by cowboy63645 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:12 am

I think the visor storage area's would probably work better. They do have nets that attach to the front side of them to keep stuff from coming off of them as well, something like these. http://www.truckpartsproshop.com/visor_ ... soles.html
cowboy63645

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Trail X » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

I posted this in another thread... but I like the use of the closet shelving to make a nice storage nook above the rear area, and out of the way. Maybe you could use a similar sort of item:

Last edited by teebes on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reduced img size
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by teebes » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 am

Philberto wrote:I wouldn't use that to store documents though. Most documents I need, I usually just scan in and store on a USB drive. Takes a lot less space.

Understandable... But recently I ended up accumulating a number of 'park' specific maps/pamphlets along my journey. Having these available up front in a quick manner is ideal, IMHO. Something to deter storing gadgets and only lightweight items :raspberry:
teebes
Founder

by The Roadie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 am

I collect paper maps. Way too many paper maps. But they're better than the tablet for laying out on the hood to get a sense of situational awareness of the larger region. And to point out a planned route to folks in your group, if you're the trail boss or the trail librarian. I've been using plastic tubs from a store that feeds another one of my fetishes - the Container Store. :excited: Image
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 pm

I like this idea better than a net...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Shelf-It_Overh ... 017549;0;0

But they say it wont fit ours. I will try to search around and find one that does, but I like the idea of using visor brackets and reattaching visor to shelf. May not be difficult to make otherwise.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by teebes » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:51 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I like this idea better than a net...

But they say it wont fit ours. I will try to search around and find one that does, but I like the idea of using visor brackets and reattaching visor to shelf. May not be difficult to make otherwise.

Very cool! Please keep us updated if you find one that fits our make/model :cheers:
teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:12 pm

teebes wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:I like this idea better than a net...

Very cool! Please keep us updated if you find one that fits our make/model :cheers:

Just shot off an email to the marketing/customer service person at the manufacturer to see if something is adaptable or if they considered our platform, since there are so many and its not just an offroad thing.

I have also seen 2 piece ones that work if you are a center overhead console. And I am trying to find out if steelhorse still makes one like I saw on a dodge forum.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by The Roadie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Everything on my dash ended up out the window or on my lap in a 45 degree hill climb in Moab. Watch out for overhead storage. :wallbash:

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Slef has a 1 inch lip on the model I looked at and the split shelves had cargo type nets to keep thing in on hillclimbs.

No luck so far on our platform, but am getting ideas to just build a simple wood one for only papers and truly lightweight stuff.
HARDTRAILZ

by cbbryan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Why not just use the pockets in the doors to hold maps, center console, or glove box. If you aren't too worried about looks you could staple or glue a standard cargo net to your headliner, and as long as you don't have a ream of paper worth of maps up there it should hold.

I wouldn't think you would use more than one maybe two maps per day off roading. I suggest organizing all your maps in a file folder or envelope and keeping them in the back somewhere; most of us are planning custom cargo organizers if we haven't done it already and it seems logical that if you have a wide variety and number of maps to put them in the back.
After all I highly doubt you will need to use all of the maps you've aquired in one day.

Now as far as being able to have readily available and easy access the map(s) the you may be using on a given day you could stuff in between your visor and head liner, door pockets, center console, golve box, or make your passenger/ navigator take care of it.
Attachments
file box.jpg
This is small enough and you can lable folders to make it easier to find a map
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:47 pm

teebes wrote:
Philberto wrote:I wouldn't use that to store documents though. Most documents I need, I usually just scan in and store on a USB drive. Takes a lot less space.

Understandable... But recently I ended up accumulating a number of 'park' specific maps/pamphlets along my journey. Having these available up front in a quick manner is ideal, IMHO. Something to deter storing gadgets and only lightweight items :raspberry:

Check out these guys, pretty good to work with, and will make whatever you want.

http://www.raingler.com/merch.htm
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:41 pm

The Roadie wrote:Everything on my dash ended up out the window or on my lap in a 45 degree hill climb in Moab. Watch out for overhead storage. :wallbash:

Haha, everything I could put on the dash would end up in my lap after 5 min of driving... I've never figured out how people are able to store things on their dashboards... never been able to do it on any of my cars.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

Return to Off Road Discussion