Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Snorkel

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Philberto » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:23 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Let me say first, I respect what you guys want to do, although I wonder if it’s more of a cosmetic mod than one for actual use.

Instead of cutting into your trucks has anyone thought of just removing the hood and making an attachment that will come straight up at the point where the flex tube mounts to the intake?
Or, how about a second hood with a hole cut in it? Isn’t the idea to make the truck able to get through deep water, not to make it pretty?

Sorry if I read this here but, the idea of a closed system (removing the intake filter and replacing it with a plug end and fitting for a pressure regulated air line) using an air tank seems fairly possible for a decent engineer.

If you want to, look up "Leaf blower supercharger" for a cheaper idea in the same vein. You'd need larger-diameter tubing in order to be able to keep up with the air demand of the engine.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:46 pm

Philberto wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:Let me say first, I respect what you guys want to do, although I wonder if it’s more of a cosmetic mod than one for actual use.

Instead of cutting into your trucks has anyone thought of just removing the hood and making an attachment that will come straight up at the point where the flex tube mounts to the intake?
Or, how about a second hood with a hole cut in it? Isn’t the idea to make the truck able to get through deep water, not to make it pretty?

Sorry if I read this here but, the idea of a closed system (removing the intake filter and replacing it with a plug end and fitting for a pressure regulated air line) using an air tank seems fairly possible for a decent engineer.

If you want to, look up "Leaf blower supercharger" for a cheaper idea in the same vein. You'd need larger-diameter tubing in order to be able to keep up with the air demand of the engine.

OMG that's funny.

Isn't interesting how people always want something different then the next guy. Like spinners, painted dashboard same as truck color, huge wheels with tiny tires or a snorkel. :poke:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:25 pm

A couple reasons I wanted to do a snorkel, I had one off a wrecked 4Runner in my warehouse, I like the Idea of having true cold air intake, ram air. One reason the desert guys want them is it draws clean air from up high while convoying, instead of down low.
I think its obvious we like to keep our rigs looking good, as James said if we didn't we would all have a cheap Cherokee with some PVC sticking through the hood... This is one of the most expensive vehicles I've bought, and I'm still paying for it.

I get TONS of people looking, and lots of guys in lifted trucks pointing and laughing.. Can't say I don't point and laugh at every Ford with a 12" lift with 22" rims and mud terrains.. I get a better laugh when I see them stuck in the snow as I pass em up in my lil Trailblazer!! I get people that constantly ask what it is, and why I have it, I don't think that would be any better if we didn't care about aesthetics and just had a piece of PVC sticking through a hole in the hood.

This is a pic from one of the roads to one of 5 different mining claims I go to, there is three creek crossings on this road, and this was late in the summer when the water was down

Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by bgwolfpack » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:

This is a pic from one of the roads to one of 5 different mining claims I go to, there is three creek crossings on this road, and this was late in the summer when the water was down

Legitimate need. :Iagree:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Yeah, I'm one of those desert convoyers that would like to clean out a little less dust from his air filter after a trip... Now if I can only figure out an in-cabin air filter solution, I'll be set!
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by foosh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:14 pm

[/quote]
Legitimate need. :Iagree:[/quote]

There are a bunch of us that do need this legitamately, and that is why theres a reason to build it.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by bgwolfpack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:26 pm

I want to see it just as much as the next guy and with enough debate I may someday see a 'Legitimate need' also. In the meantime it would just be cool to see it for real and stop the talk and dreaming. :poke:
Foosh, someone else is going to beat you to it bud. :poke:

Your front bumper thing, may be cool and help others (I'm guessing) to get unstuck but wouldn't it be more cool to go where they can't? You know--Trail Boss :woot:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by foosh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Foosh, someone else is going to beat you to it bud. :poke:

Your front bumper thing, may be cool and help others (I'm guessing) to get unstuck but wouldn't it be more cool to go where they can't? You know--Trail Boss :woot:

Yeah i know i'll probably be beat to it, but I don't care, bc if i'm not the first it will only make it easier for me.

And what are you refering to by going where others can't--trail boss?
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by lil_freak_66 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:53 pm

just thought id throw in a few ideas...

both involve hood cowls.

(using an SS with cowl cuz its the first pic i could find)

could we do a cowl hood,and run the tube to the air box under the cowl and then have it pop up at the end of the hood,run sideways to the pillar and then up the side?

or here is my 2nd idea,same basic idea,wont look as good.but cheaper.

i dont see why they wouldnt/couldnt work,as long as the cowl is big enough for the proper clearance.

since yall are havin quarrels about the lines and that box....i figure why send it out the side when you can send it up?
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Where do we stand with this? I'm vary interested in this mod.
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
33" Procomp M/T X MARK SPACERS.
Only Blue lifted 2002 Trailblazer in WMASS.
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

Name: Damian

by fishsticks » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:16 pm

DmccartneyFF2TB wrote:Where do we stand with this? I'm vary interested in this mod.

Then get out there and fab something up. :finger:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:31 pm

fishsticks wrote:
DmccartneyFF2TB wrote:Where do we stand with this? I'm vary interested in this mod.

Then get out there and fab something up. :finger:

That's what's gonna happen. Is it possible to use a different air box? Any ideas. I was thinking of going and looking through the junk yard to look for a different air box and fab something up. I don't want to mess up the air flow (not get enough air).
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
33" Procomp M/T X MARK SPACERS.
Only Blue lifted 2002 Trailblazer in WMASS.
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

Name: Damian

by Trail X » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 pm

In my opinion, a 1997–2004 F-150 would be best/easiest to work with. I looked into this a year or so ago... but haven't made progress myself.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by JustBlaze05 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:04 am

I hate to bump an old thread here, and I know its usually against rules. But I have a theory.

Hear me out, why not delete the airbox completely? Run your intake tube/dryerducting/used paper towel rolls straight out the fender?

Sure the rad. resevoir needs to be moved but seems I've freed that space with no airbox havent I?

Idea done, go ahead throw your worst at me. I am afterall the new guy thats at mall status around here. :poke:
JustBlaze05

Name: Chris Jackson

by Trail X » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:09 am

We are ok with bumping old threads. It keeps pertinent information together.

If you delete the filter box, where do you propose adding the filter?
Trail X
Founder

by JustBlaze05 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:50 am

JamesDowning wrote:We are ok with bumping old threads. It keeps pertinent information together.

If you delete the filter box, where do you propose adding the filter?

Adding an in line filter, or wherever it would fit. Probably the best I can think is just like the filter out of my old Ford Ranger. Its a cone filter, and has a small cylindrical box.

This way, it would fit right in line with the rest of the system, and would also provide a low to catch any water that may leak in due to rain etc...

Going to go outside and take a look now.

Grrr. I will figure out the woes to the Trailblazer snorkel. Looks its been tried again and again but never successfully completed.
Just give me some time!
JustBlaze05

by Trail X » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 am

That's been proposed before, see the bottom of page 3 of this thread for some ideas.

It's not that it hasn't been figured out I don't think... it's that compared to other things, a snorkel tends to fall by the wayside priority-wise. There are many things I have needed before wanting a snorkel.
Trail X
Founder

by JustBlaze05 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am

Yeah I read the whole thread, plus 2 more that didnt end up making it all the way to finished.

The idea of the F-150 box is close, but not exactly what I am looking for, going to tinker, and snap some pics.

Quite certain I can make it work and not be completely.. Ghetto-Tastic, for lack of a better term.
JustBlaze05

by Gordinho80 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am

Just wait for Chevycrew to make one and mimic... seems like he'll probably be the next snorkeled TB.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Mooseknuckle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am

I'm very interested in this to happen I wish i was a fab guy cause it would have been figured out. Where is the chevy crew guy that completely turned his TB into a monster with 42's? I'm sure if that guy can do all that he can figure the best way to do this. That being said if you can run the intake tube from the intake through the fender connecting to a tube can you put an air filter on it before the air duct? Kinda like a K&N CIA same concept but with an air duct around the filter part? :)
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion