Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear Storage Idea...

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by AceOfSprings » Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 pm

So I was looking through all the rear storage threads and simply could not find one that I liked. So I came up with a different style that still gives me plenty of drawer space, access to built in floor storage, and additional lifted storage.

What do you think of this? Has anyone built one like this? Also, would would be the best method to secure it in place once put together?

AceOfSprings

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Fri May 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Looks like a good start.
Off the top of my head if I were going to attach it, I would remove the rear cargo tie downs and re-use those bolt holes. Another idea that might work is to cut a slot in your bottom pieces where each tie down would go and slide the tie down "loop" through that hole and use some kind of quick clip so you can easily unclip for fast removal and still leave your tie downs in place. It might interfere with your bottom drawers though.

If you are thinking about totes to go in the middle sections I might go ahead and find the totes I had in mind to make sure that you don't waste any space.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri May 25, 2012 4:19 pm

It could work, looks like 10"W 28"T and 33"D on each side so roughly 2.5qf per drawer. Not huge but you still get access to the storage hole and two large open areas. and I would make the side by back of the seats solid for support.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Mon May 28, 2012 7:33 pm

I was going to suggest what navigator did.
Make the bottom drawers raised an inch or two and then attach it to the tie downs in the floor. A solid back would be a good idea to keep it rigid and to keep the contents in the top shelf out of the passenger compartment during heavy breaking or an accident. A relatively small item can kill if it happens to fly out of the back and strike the headrest or the head of an occupant.
Overall it looks like a nice design.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Wed May 30, 2012 11:40 am

Looks nice. I'd definitely take Chris' advice and find the bins/lockers you're planning to use, and design around their size. The big black foot-lockers from walmart are nice, and could be a good item to store in the lower center section.

Also think about things you may want in the future... air tank/compressor, water storage, grill... do you want a table attachment?

Think about a logical layout of the items you'll need when camping, but also make sure you have room to carry other stuff, like the biggest luggage you own. You don't want to have to take the storage boxes out of the truck just to go to the airport.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by beastwono » Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3070

Look there I did almost the same thing
beastwono