Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Spare Gas Can, type? and Where would you carry it?

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by snowmirage » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm looking for a safe and legal way to carry along 5 or so extra gallons of fuel on the occasional adventure. I read quite a few of the discussions many of you have had on various Jerry Cans from different mfg. I'm sure getting the right one can be a good investment if your going to use it a lot. I don't think I will, and I'm not sure I can justify $50-75 for it.

For my occasional use I was considering picking up a typical plastic can.

Reading around other forums I've read discussions saying

Under no circumstances keep it in the car!

then others...

Under no circumstances keep it outside the car!

Both obviously have their own risks no matter which you do.

What are your thoughts / recommendations?

I was considering buying a standard plastic can and just ratchet strapping it down well to the back of the roof rack on the rare occasion I feel I need it. But other than the fact that I'm not yet sure if that's legal or not in Maryland sitting in the sun all day up there also didnt seem like a good idea, guess I could cover it with something when i tie it down to keep it cooler?
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Nakashige » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Rotox cans are nice never had a issue with a leak
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:21 am

Not sure what to recommend regarding cans, but I used to carry two metal ones on my roof. I wouldn't get a thin plastic one though. They are meant to stay still inside a garage. I know HF has some cheap metal ones. Maybe Mario can even make you a replacement gasket for it.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:53 am

I have a Harbor Freight metal can... The cap that comes with it is an odd size/ thread, so finding a solid replacement will be tough. I just ordered some Buna-N rubber to make a new gasket... Hopefully I'm able to make something sealed that doesn't use the stupid nozzle that came with the can.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by The Roadie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:37 am

IMHO and that of probably everybody on Expedition Portal, there is no home refueling container that's safe for expeditions. The Scepter cans from Canada are now only allowed for military sales, so the pre-ban cans are going for $75-100 on the aftermarket. I've got eight of the things, but I saw the end coming a few years ago. These are the ones you can drop from a helicopter from 50- feet up and they survive. I used to strap these to my roof rack, but never again. If they leak or get punctured for any reason, they'll drip down into your liftgate crevices and tail lights, with possibly explosive results. Mount them only where they can't drip on the vehicle, which is going to be some sort of rear bumper location.

Wedco metal and other sorts of NATO cans are the ExPo choice nowadays. But the thin and sortof rugged ATV Kolpin fuel packs are getting some followers.

Whatever you decide, if you run out, $75 is going to seem a cheap price to pay for more fuel. I've carried fuel on dozens of trips, and only USED it three times in six years. You can plan carefully, but still have something unexpected come up, and the peace of mind is priceless. Please don't cheap out on safety by using home plastic cans. Scepter makes some of those, don't be fooled. If you EVER see a good Scepter can on craigslist or yard sales, snap it up. May need a new gasket, but that's relatively cheap.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:25 pm

just use a couple empty water bottles (half gallon) and keep them together in a big tupperware or something. Keeps the smell down and spill risk low...............
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by Nakashige » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Wouldnt Water bottles melt with gas in them?
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Nah
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:59 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:just use a couple empty water bottles (half gallon) and keep them together in a big tupperware or something. Keeps the smell down and spill risk low...............

I hope everyone knows he is kidding.... Or at the very least, I hope he is kidding; as that is basically making a bomb. :poke:
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 am

Cheaper-than-Dirt sells NATO cans. I think they have 4 packs for $120. I haven't heard of any experience with them though.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by snowmirage » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:53 am

I checked cheaper than dirt and the site tells me they can't ship them to me in MD for some reason....

I may end up going with something like the rotopax I guess
snowmirage
Off-Roader

by The Roadie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm

snowmirage wrote:I checked cheaper than dirt and the site tells me they can't ship them to me in MD for some reason....
MD, along with 10-12 other states, are too lazy to make realistic rules on their own, and allow our CARB (People's Republic of California Air Resources Board) to make policy that they sheepishly adopt. The original Scepter cans allowed too many hydrocarbon molecules to leach through the container walls per decade, so they were banned. The other NATO cans aren't child-proof. A child could open the cap, tip over the can, and then the fuel spills in your garage, where gas water heaters (many in the garages in CA), will ignite the fumes.

I apologize to the rest of the country for having a CARB, but you should lobby for more realistic regulations with your own local bureaucrats. My best friend from high school used to be in your state highway administration, and I could ask him why they're such a goofy state, but alas, he retired last year. Lucky stiff: http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/5360
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by snowmirage » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Yup sounds like California's typical screwed up thought process...... it is of course not an issue with parents not watching their kids to make sure they know to not open / knock over gas cans.... clearly its a problem with the design of the cans..... :facepalm: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Like you said I might as well do it right, its going to get pricey but I think one of the 3 gallon rotopax cans or maybe 2 of the 2 gallon ones should work well. I'm sure I can find a way to attach one of their universal mounts to the back end of my roof rack.
snowmirage
Off-Roader

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am

My metal jerry cans have seen better days. Couple have surface rust inside, couple have paint/sealant peeling inside. Looking at resealing them and the work and cost associated with that seems to make a new purchase pretty viable. Debating some used metal, but figure with ethanol in the gas these days, I will end up in the same position in a couple years, so I have been debating these plastic ones... one fuel and one water for long trip usage....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MT ... PDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MT ... PDKIKX0DER

I wont use the spout on the fuel can since I only use a Super Siphon and the complaints seem to all stem from that.

I see mixed reports on whether these fit in standard Jerry Can holder like I have, but could make a custom mount to hold both and likely would even if they fit in standard holder.

Any one played with these plastic ones? Pros/Cons? Should I go with metal again? Is there a cheap way to reseal the current ones because it looks like I would be at half the price with a ton of work re-doing what I have?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by mikekey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:57 am

Hey, I prefer metal. I also probably over paid, but I do have 4 of the wonderful cans from CheaperThanDirt.com (before they became aholes over the gun deal and price gouging) They're incredibly durable and have survived drops and countless miles. Two years later and no surface rust at all.

I also have two mounting holders (only have picture of the first one I bought) for my baja rack. A bit pricey again.

(Side note, I now carry my spares in the rear of the rack for better accessibility)

I wanted 4 so I'd have a full tanks worth of spare fuel for a bug out scenario. I use plastic only around the house for spare fuel for generator, lawn mowers, etc. My main concern with cans, especially if roof mounted and plastic is heating them up in the sun. Plastic would bother me if they are going to spend multiple days on the roof of your vehicle. So would puncture and gas pouring all over your vehicle.

Wish I could be more detailed.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 am

What I am reading is that after a few years the ethanol in gas will draw mouisture and cause the surface rust inside and it also is the cause for the liner peeling. I dont care what the outside look like, but want clean fuel.

I dont plan on extended sun time other than few trips of longer lengths, so plastic does not scare me much. We have had cheap plastic cans on our mowing trailer stored outside for years and all year round and they have held up just fine. These are supposed to be heavier plastic. I like the set it and forget it of leaving the metal on the rear bumper, but dont really need that and could always pick up a cheap HF metal can since it will sit upright and leaking is not a concern too much that way. But will the liner hold up or is plastic better with the ethanol n fuel?

I plan to only keep them on the rear bumper.

I love the rotopax idea but cost is high.

I believe there are ethanol removers for fuel, but not sure of cost.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by mikekey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:38 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:What I am reading is that after a few years the ethanol in gas will draw mouisture and cause the surface rust inside and it also is the cause for the liner peeling. I dont care what the outside look like, but want clean fuel.

That's a great concern and easily solvable if you have ethanol free gas in your area. We have 4 stations that offer it. I use that for storage in the tanks with Fuel Stabilizer and rotate it out every 6 months. During a trip if you use regular gas I doubt it will do much harm, but long term, yes.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by navigator » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:43 am

Let us know how those plastic cans work out.
I had a brand new "vented" boat gas tank this summer swell up like a balloon.
The lid was supposed to have a vent to allow air pressure to regulate but apparently it didn't work.
It did have a warning about storing in direct sunlight but I got tired of taking it in the garage after each trip.
I just loosened the lid a little and that helped. I would think a tightly sealed plastic jug in the sun would swell a good bit.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 am

mikekey wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:What I am reading is that after a few years the ethanol in gas will draw mouisture and cause the surface rust inside and it also is the cause for the liner peeling. I dont care what the outside look like, but want clean fuel.

That's a great concern and easily solvable if you have ethanol free gas in your area. We have 4 stations that offer it. I use that for storage in the tanks with Fuel Stabilizer and rotate it out every 6 months. During a trip if you use regular gas I doubt it will do much harm, but long term, yes.

No Ethanol Free anywhere around last I checked.

The rust ones have sat forever, so not real surprised. The peeling ones have been used fairly regularly between the truck and the atvs n such at our land and camping. Was quite surprised to find it being that they were rotated so often. At least monthly they needed filled since spring, sometimes more.

navigator wrote:Let us know how those plastic cans work out.
I had a brand new "vented" boat gas tank this summer swell up like a balloon.
The lid was supposed to have a vent to allow air pressure to regulate but apparently it didn't work.
It did have a warning about storing in direct sunlight but I got tired of taking it in the garage after each trip.
I just loosened the lid a little and that helped. I would think a tightly sealed plastic jug in the sun would swell a good bit.

I forgot about the cheap cans on our trailer being vented. You do smell gas often and that is likely why they dont bulge too bad. Also in a mesh basket that surrounds tham on 3 sides. I imagine the plastic probably does have a big drawback there. HMMM.....
HARDTRAILZ

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Kyle with your Super Siphon could you not add a line filter or would that restrict the flow to much? Maybe a lawn mower type.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Next

Return to Off Road Discussion