Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

44 gal tank install/ help

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by chevycrew » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:36 pm

The reason behind the aux gauge is to not burn up the pump. I would have to look at the filler more.
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Ah... good point. There must be an automatic cutoff switch of some sort that you could plumb into the tank, then wire inline with the pump.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm

James you are saying you would pump fuel out of one tank and into the other, is that right?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 am

Yes, just use it as a large Jerry can with it's own pump.
Trail X
Founder

by RimoniManu » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Well I'm glad to see some of you guys are taking on the idea. Yesterday I sealed the inside of my tank with POR-15. It's a silverish metalic looking liquid that's poured in and then just rotate the tank to cover all the insides. I only used about 3/5 of a quart. Takes 4 days to dry so till then I'll continue to weld up my new rear axle. Here's some pics of how I re-routed the coolant lines.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

Name: Ray
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Trail X » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Since I'm not familliar with the EXTs, that is both a refrigerant supply and return, and engine coolant supply and return?

Did you flange the pipe before fitting the hose on?

Even if you flanged the refrigerant, I'd be surprised if it didn't leak.
Trail X
Founder

by fishsticks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:09 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Since I'm not familliar with the EXTs, that is both a refrigerant supply and return, and engine coolant supply and return?

Did you flange the pipe before fitting the hose on?

Even if you flanged the refrigerant, I'd be surprised if it didn't leak.

:Iagree: I thought the same thing, but wasn't sure.

No way a hose clamp is going to hold on the high side of the AC lines.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by RimoniManu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Yes correct, ext has both ref. and coolant supply and return lines in the rear. Coolant lines don't leak. My AC system hasn't been charged ever since I did my engine swap two years ago. My POR-15 is still drying. Looks good inside so far. I had a small puddle of the stuff where I was draining my tank and once this stuff is dried it's pretty tuff. Almost looks and feels like JB weld, but not meant for the strength. Hope this weekend I can get it in.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

by madmanvillain » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:22 am

At least double up the hose clamps. Trust me.
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by chevycrew » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:02 am

I would double the coolant clamps, and never charge the ac with that setup.
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve

by RimoniManu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 am

Ya you're right chevycrew, I wont recharge ac system with this setup and I'll go ahead and double up the clamps. Whenever I decide to finally get my ac recharged are there any clamps or something you guys know of that will hold up to the psi?
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

by bartonmd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 am

RimoniManu wrote:Ya you're right chevycrew, I wont recharge ac system with this setup and I'll go ahead and double up the clamps. Whenever I decide to finally get my ac recharged are there any clamps or something you guys know of that will hold up to the psi?

Yeah, the kind that get replaced by hard lines and double flares.

You'll need one of these:

As a matter of fact, on coolant, oil, and trans fluid lines, where I go from a hard line to a rubber line, I use the double flare kit to put a "bulb" on the end of the tube, to give the clamps something mechanical to hold onto. When doing what you did on fluid lines, I put a bulb on the end of the line, then use 2 clamps.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am

Compression fittings could possibly work for the hard line connector. Then for the hose portion (given the hose is rated for A/C lines), you might be able to do a push-to-connect fitting.

I've used compression fittings on my transmission lines with zero leaks. Conversely, when I was younger (before I knew better!) I used the simple hose-clamp-on-tube method for my transmission cooler lines, and those things leaked non-stop.
Trail X
Founder

by RimoniManu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:29 pm

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! Well, almost. It's been pissing rain off and on today which didn't help the cause too much. So here are the pics that I remembered to take. Sometimes when I really get into something I forget everything else exists.

Again here is a pic of my tank with everything removed. I always label everything I remove thats why there is duct tape around the fittings.

To remove the charcol evap canister, PITA!, Insert large screw driver here and pry the tabs out.

I honestly dont know what this is, some type of sensor for the evap? simple to remove, insert screw driver and pry small tab.

This is the pump container, To open it there are three tabs like this one. Insert screw driver as far as shown and GENTLY pry the tabs inward.

I've posted this pic before but I said I was going to cut the tubes at the yellow, I only cut the return line. The only thing that holds the sending unit to the pump container is that little lock ring circled in red. I cut that ring and then mounted the pump container onto the bottom of my tank. I extended the electrical wires using butt connectors and extended the return line and main fuel line using rubber fuel line.

Here is how low the tank sits. I made straps from left over metal, it extends from frame to frame.

Here are all the components installed on the tank. My charcol canister is mounted on top of the crossmember above the axle. PITA to make it fit, and don't even bother trying if you don't have over 3" body lift. I put it up there because it's out of the way, I wasn't sure if the canister was "this side up" sensitive, so up on the crossmember I could leave it laying down plus it was close to the tank.

Fuel filter is still up in the stock location. I was kind of suprised what I learned about fuel lines, that they are only plastic tubes. I had thought they were metal but I was wrong, could easily cut with scissors.

Now the most important part....capacity. I put about 4 gallons in so I could go fill up. I then proceeded to fill up and was able to put in 26.323 gallons when the pump shut off. Turns out it stops automatically when it hits $100. So I swiped my card again and proceeded to fill some more. I was at 7 gallons when I heard a " drip drip drip." I had a small hole around one of the filler neck tube bolts. I'll go put some epoxy around the bolts to seal it once more.
You can see where it leaked from the spray paint washed off the tank

So at that point I was at 37 gallons and had about 2-4 more inches to fill. I want to get an exact number for you guys so it may be a week or two till I use up all the fuel. I will also install my skid plate while I'm waiting.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 am

Looks overall pretty good. I do worry however about your line connections. Putting a larger line over a smaller line with only a hose clamp seems like a potential reliability nightmare.
Trail X
Founder

by RimoniManu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Ya I agree James. Where the stock plastic fuel lines connect to the fittings, they all enlarge slightly and are ribbed; this is where I clamped the rubber hose over the tubes. That way the clamp has something to grab on to. I really like it. I sealed up the filler neck real well so in a couple weeks I'll have a final capacity. I have all the room I need now for my 4 link.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

by mikekey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 am

After seeing your most recent post I was just curious about any updates on this project. How it's all working out for you now and if you ran into any additional problems.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2003

by RimoniManu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 am

Hey Mike. I only ran into one problem. The pump unit came lose inside because of basically poor planning. I fixed it by using solid steel tubing between the sendng unit and the pump inside the tank. so now it's like the stock setup just with a longer tube. I checked awhile ago on the capacity and if I remember correctly it was 39 or 40 gallons. Almost cost $200 to fill up.
RimoniManu
Off-Roader

by mikekey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 am

Not bad at all, but I'm sure that has significantly increase the overall range and amount of time's your filling up.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by Decembersend » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:47 am

Very nice :thumleft: I like seeing how creative people are.
Marks 3" Body/2.5" Suspension Lift, G80, 1.5" Spacers, 265/70/R17 Yokohama Geolanders
Decembersend

Name: David

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion