Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Strengthening hatch lift struts to hold spare tire?

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Philberto » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey everybody,

I was just thinking (I do that too much) and I was wondering if anybody has any feedback on possibly replacing the rear hatch struts (not the glass ones) to make the hatch capable of raising even with a spare tire mounted on it... I never use just the rear glass, so if it blocks that it's not an issue, and a rear view camera is slated to replace my rear view mirror. Is it just the gas struts I need to beef up, or are the hinges an issue? Assuming fabricating is an option for hinges, and suitable struts can be found, can anybody think of any other reason it might be a bad idea to mount the tire there? Just looking for feedback now that I can't fit a properly sized spare under the TB.

-Phil :flex dirty:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Been discussed a bit on the OS in years past. Even with moosy hinges, I think the underlying structure isn't reinforced enough. And a bent-pipe side mounted swingaway that mounts above and below the taillight like older Blazers would also fail. But it's all guessing until somebody tries it and checks for flex.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by teebes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 pm

I recently saw an old 4runner (I believe) that had a tire mount on the rear hatch that hinged 'up' like ours. I meant to go research the mount/setup but have been pre-occupied :poke: :work:

With fab work, just about anything is possible, just comes down to your wallet or time. Tire size / type / manufacturer are important variables to judge the strut strength appropriately. You can't go too strong or you wont be able to close it. Too weak, etc.

After messing w/ my trailer's rear tire/hatch setup, it's not beyond the range of possibilities. A good starting place would be identifying the stock strut strength and stock hatch weight.
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by janesy86 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 am

Yea it would be an awesome thing to see done and I would love to be able to do this as well....sometime in the future. I also never use the glass, and my main use of the vehicle is contruction type work so I am constantly openiing the the rear...

What I also have been :scratch: would be to make the rear hatch swing like on jeeps and the like..does the XUV hav a swinging rear hatch? I think that would be sweet. I'd have to wait til I owned this puppy outright tho to do these thype of mods..
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

by The Roadie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:34 am

janesy86 wrote:..does the XUV hav a swinging rear hatch? .
The XUV is indeed a two-way swinging hatch. (Like it was designed in the late 60's. :idea: )

However, as you should guess from the design team's other disasters, it's a solenoid, control module, and latch adjustment nightmare. Beefing up those two-way hinges would be just the start of an unreliable trail machine.

It's also only available in the weiner dog length, although Ultravorx certainly takes his to dirty places.

I came *that* close to owning one instead of the Roadiemobile.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by janesy86 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am

Ahhh... More just wondering, I wasn't sure if they had the swinging hatch or not as I've never personally seen one.

It would be cool tho. I think they way to go for me eventually will lead to a steel rear bumper with a swinging tire carrier. I know Kennesaw Mountain makes a multi-carrier rear bumper for other platforms and I was trying to sway them into possibly making one for the TB, obviously they said if there was any demand they would persue.

If they did tho I'd hope for it to fit a lil better than the front. I don't like how the front bumper sticks into the wheel well. Obviously why one of the many reasons JD customized his.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Took some pics of the rear door area.
IMG_4943.JPG
(89.7 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
IMG_4949.JPG
(42.85 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
My first thought was that we could double up the stabilizers but there's not enough room nor do I believe the mount points would handle the added stress in opening and closing, up and down. The hinges would be adequate and if not then replaced with a piano hinge running the length between the two.(But with a lot of fab work) Question also the strength of the rear door and if it has enough meat in it to hold the weight and over sized tire that we'd be bolting to it. That first slam of the door could do some heavy damage.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I will be working around the back of my TB tomorrow measuring for a secret project, so I may take off the liftgate panels and see what (if any) structural support is there... Another option is to mount the tire to a frame (similar to an exoskeleton, but just for the liftgate) and attach the frame using a separate pair of struts and hinges... Lots of fabrication, but since it'll be reinforced by the liftgate, maybe could get away with using 3/4" DOM... Time to find someone who can work me up a model in Solidworks or Inventor and run an FEA on it.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 pm

img10516hh.jpg
(128.73 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Here's one I found to contemplate. :coffee:
If you look real close at the right sides helper strut I believe it's on a different angle than the left. It very well may be a shaft stuck into position and out of the shot, or hiding it.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Philberto wrote:I will be working around the back of my TB tomorrow measuring for a secret project, so I may take off the lift gate panels and see what (if any) structural support is there... Another option is to mount the tire to a frame (similar to an exoskeleton, but just for the liftgate) and attach the frame using a separate pair of struts and hinges... Lots of fabrication, but since it'll be reinforced by the liftgate, maybe could get away with using 3/4" DOM... Time to find someone who can work me up a model in Solidworks or Inventor and run an FEA on it.
If you can while you're back there, try getting a weight reading of the door itself without the struts attached. If we can find out the pressure they need to have to hold the door up we can figure the extra percentage of force needed when the tire is attached. Which will vary depending on the height of the tire in regards to where it's placed compared to the hinges.
:idea: One other option for the weight issue would be a block & tackle style balancer that could be placed in the recess area next to, or instead of, the existing struts. One pulling while closed and one pulling when open.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by janesy86 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:14 pm

Dang, that is def some heavy duty stuff on the back of that Xterra. I'd like to see some more on this..
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:30 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:
Philberto wrote:I will be working around the back of my TB tomorrow measuring for a secret project, so I may take off the lift gate panels and see what (if any) structural support is there... Another option is to mount the tire to a frame (similar to an exoskeleton, but just for the liftgate) and attach the frame using a separate pair of struts and hinges... Lots of fabrication, but since it'll be reinforced by the liftgate, maybe could get away with using 3/4" DOM... Time to find someone who can work me up a model in Solidworks or Inventor and run an FEA on it.
If you can while you're back there, try getting a weight reading of the door itself without the struts attached. If we can find out the pressure they need to have to hold the door up we can figure the extra percentage of force needed when the tire is attached. Which will vary depending on the height of the tire in regards to where it's placed compared to the hinges.
:idea: One other option for the weight issue would be a block & tackle style balancer that could be placed in the recess area next to, or instead of, the existing struts. One pulling while closed and one pulling when open.
Can anyone find the error in this statement? :shock:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by KE7WOX » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 pm

What I was thinking is that if someone has good skills and is willing to do it, the tailgate might be convertable to a 1 piece side swinging door (same setup as the Montero and Land Cruiser 120).
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by Philberto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:28 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:
img10516hh.jpg
Here's one I found to contemplate. :coffee:
If you look real close at the right sides helper strut I believe it's on a different angle than the left. It very well may be a shaft stuck into position and out of the shot, or hiding it.

hmmm... where'd you find that? I really like it, and I have really, REALLY wanted to find a ladder solution to put up there for when I have a roof rack. It would make things so much easier...

Btw, I didn't have have much time to take a look at the TB today, but I did try and flex the liftgate to see how solid it is. I'll have to compare it to an Xterra from our dealership down the street, but there wasn't too much flex, and of course it was only on the horizontal axis at the end, a problem that could be remedied with the extra DOM attached to it... I also looked at my hinges, and I don't think they'll be a problem, though a thicker pin could be retrofitted if necessary.

goes off to think
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:31 am

More of the same truck :coffee:
arriere9mw.jpg
(64.23 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
droite4mp.jpg
(54.61 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
gauche5nd.jpg
(59.71 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
PLEASE discount the fact it's a Nissan that this rack is on. Looking at it closer, I'm sure it's hand made. HELLO Fabricators-Money making Time.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 pm

wow... that is some seriously beefy tubing... I may skip the ladder and just worry about the tire mount lol, because that has to weigh as much as 3 tires by my estimation.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Philberto wrote:wow... that is some seriously beefy tubing... I may skip the ladder and just worry about the tire mount lol, because that has to weigh as much as 3 tires by my estimation.

I know :ncool: I was thinking it could be half that size tubbing and still be effective. :?:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Saxis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:53 pm

That looks way too high also, but any lower/centered and that tire would be blocking either the tail-light, the hatch handle or both...
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Saxis wrote:That looks way too high also, but any lower/centered and that tire would be blocking either the tail-light, the hatch handle or both...

The hatch handle issue could be remedied with a solenoid if really necessary, and one of those "door poppers."
Or, I could always just mount another handle somewhere and figure that out...

-edit: Looking at it, I think I would run the tube in an "X" pattern, centering the tire on the rear and anchoring at all 4 corners or using a second pair of hinges up top... will look after work tomorrow, since I'm working a 12 today.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:56 pm

Philberto wrote:
Saxis wrote:That looks way too high also, but any lower/centered and that tire would be blocking either the tail-light, the hatch handle or both...

The hatch handle issue could be remedied with a solenoid if really necessary, and one of those "door poppers."
Or, I could always just mount another handle somewhere and figure that out...

-edit: Looking at it, I think I would run the tube in an "X" pattern, centering the tire on the rear and anchoring at all 4 corners or using a second pair of hinges up top... will look after work tomorrow, since I'm working a 12 today.
Tell more about where the hinges would go. You can not hinge off the roof body, without the bottom points of the rack being able to floot. :scratch:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Next

Return to Off Road Discussion