Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Possible group buy. Rock Sliders from Trail Gear

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by bobbyblaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Just ordered a set of 78" off the ebay co. I'm using all 8 legs.

Guess i'm joining the perv and whore club then :thumright: ?

Edit: I just got off the phone with Jason from the ebay store. He said that the sliders are now DOM tube. I will probably have mine less than a week.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15 pm

Nice. With 78, i would feel too close to the tires, but my setup make everything a bit different.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Bob, I can't wait to see them! Still want my wheels??? LOL
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other

by NeilageInc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:13 am

Guys I don't feel like reading all of this but I can meat or beat their prices. All of my sliders would be made out of 1.5 x .120 wall DOM which is plenty strong for what you guys are doing. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by Gordinho80 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:19 am

Let's see 'em! What kind of prices are we looking at?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 am

NeilageInc wrote:Guys I don't feel like reading all of this but I can meat or beat their prices. All of my sliders would be made out of 1.5 x .120 wall DOM which is plenty strong for what you guys are doing. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Neil.

$150 bux shipped... Would be nice to have some made to length. Guys buy from him and get us some support going. :excited:
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by NeilageInc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:38 am

Between TEEBEES and The ROADIE your support is already here. Let me get some metal prices tomorrow and we will go from there. Also ask either one of them about the quality of work you will get. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

by That1Guy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:14 am

hmmmmmm I think I need to get my bender out. Can you guys say 2 inch 4130 chromoly sliders??
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:03 am

NeilageInc wrote:Guys I don't feel like reading all of this but I can meat or beat their prices. All of my sliders would be made out of 1.5 x .120 wall DOM which is plenty strong for what you guys are doing. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Thanks Neil.

Wish you posted this 2 days ago Neil :( I would have rather given my $ to a forum member.
Given the choice, I would have liked them about 2 or 3 inches shorter too but I have 30.5 inch tires with no wheel spacers. All you guys with larger tires have less space between the wheels = less room to work with.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by janesy86 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am

Dang... I know. I would have rather given you my support as well. Oh well. I'll be looking at you for future products thats for sure. :lurk:
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NeilageInc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Awesome guys. Well just let me know what you are looking for and I will make it happen. Sorry I didn't post sooner but it didn't even cross my mind. I will put a page in the vendor section for any fab work at a very reasonable price. Thanks again Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:00 pm

NeilageInc wrote:Awesome guys. Well just let me know what you are looking for and I will make it happen. Sorry I didn't post sooner but it didn't even cross my mind. I will put a page in the vendor section for any fab work at a very reasonable price. Thanks again Neil.

Bumpers?????
HARDTRAILZ

by bobbyblaze » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
NeilageInc wrote:Awesome guys. Well just let me know what you are looking for and I will make it happen. Sorry I didn't post sooner but it didn't even cross my mind. I will put a page in the vendor section for any fab work at a very reasonable price. Thanks again Neil.

Bumpers?????

Uh, oh.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by janesy86 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 am

No doubt..
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:48 am

I asked one of my knowledgeable friends about this whole DOM/HREW thing... This is what he sent back:

DOM is a process and means "drawn over mandrel". Typically you use DOM when you require precise thicknesses in the ID, OD or wall thickness of a tube. It is not seamless but is made from sheet steel, rolled and electric resistance welded and finally, "DOM'ed". DOM is a cold process. Most typically it is made from low to medium carbon steel.

HREW is cheaper than DOM, but isn't as nice. HREW has a seam weld, as does DOM, but DOM is taken a few steps further to counteract the welding and cold working abnormalities for a straighter stronger piece of tubing. But as far as strength goes for bumpers and sliders, HREW will sufficiently do the job except for applications that require extreme strength.

If I were building a purely competition rock buggy where I would be getting into areas with large drop-offs, I would probably use DOM, but for the kind of off-roading that most people do and even for the occasional rock competition, I would probably go with the HREW.

In summary, DOM is a stronger tubing material than HREW, but costs about twice as much per foot. HREW is more than sufficient for most off-road applications.

So honestly, if any of you guys end up with HREW sliders... you shouldn't worry.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bobbyblaze » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Just to throw a couple things out there. My 2 cents.

DOM IS seamless. I read that directly from Arcelor Mittal's (steel manufacturer) Web site.
There are different strengths of DOM tubing as well as most steel. The ones that Trail Gear is offering is made from 1035 DOM steel. One of the hardest manufactured. No way HREW is that strong. HREW may be closer to one of the lower grades of DOM tube. Maybe most of us won't see crazy hard smashing against rocks. But after watching James slider land on that rock at Tecore, I can see that you don't have to be rock crawling to smack some rocks. Also, having extra strength to jack up your TB with the slider dosen't hurt for the little extra price difference.
DOM may very well cost almost twice as much per foot but from prices i've seen between the two types of sliders, there isn't nearly twice the cost by the time it gets to the store.

Just want you to know James. This post isn't a shot at you. The quoted box there has a couple of things that weren't correct. I'm sure the hot rolled steel is plenty fine.
Last edited by bobbyblaze on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by That1Guy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:53 am

Question for ya guys. I want to make my own sliders, but two inch steel(which is all I have) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to hard to manually bend. Do you think miter cut would be ok?? I know bends are stronger, but im only 2wd.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by bobbyblaze » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm not a professional welder but, if i'm not mistaken, welds should make it stronger. The welding media tends to be stronger than the material welded together.

Using a tubing bender makes it prettier :flower: .

Anyone else have some knowlege with this ?
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by That1Guy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:35 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:I'm not a professional welder but, if i'm not mistaken, welds should make it stronger. The welding media tends to be stronger than the material welded together.

Using a tubing bender makes it prettier :flower: .

Anyone else have some knowlege with this ?

well ya of course the welds make it strong, but I seem to remember being told that a bend is stronger than a miter cut but I cant recall who told me.

That1Guy
Addict

by Trail X » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 pm

The larger the radii of any bend, the less stress concentrations will exist.

A mitered edge has an effective 0" radius, and thus there is a big stress concentration right at your weld.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion