Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Possible group buy. Rock Sliders from Trail Gear

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by bobbyblaze » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Ok, had a talk with Trail Gear sales today.

1) The sliders they sell on their site is all made from 1035 DOM tube.

2) The company that has them on ebay is selling Trail Gears old discontinued HREW steel sliders. Trailgear switched to 1035 DOM because it's harder, stronger steel than the hot rolled. In fact, the 1035 is just about the hardest DOM tube available. They also told me that the ebay co is not affiliated with them.

I have to email the Sales manager tonight to see if we can get better pricing for the DOM. As it stands, The shipping to the phila area is aproximately $50-60 for the first set. Cheaper for every one aftrer that shipped together. Before any discount the DOM sliders would cost roughly $200.

I'll post when they get back to me then, I guess we can make a decision then. $150 shipped sure sounds good VS $200.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm

So is there a way to tell what steel I get is? I will send them back or file a case with paypal for false advertisement if they are not the DOM as the seller stated on Ebay. I kept the email for proof.

I assumed they were a reseller and not affiliated, but when directly asked they should state that they have the old product if different.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:08 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:So is there a way to tell what steel I get is? I will send them back or file a case with paypal for false advertisement if they are not the DOM as the seller stated on Ebay. I kept the email for proof.

I assumed they were a reseller and not affiliated, but when directly asked they should state that they have the old product if different.

IIRC, DOM doesn't have a raised welded seam on the inside of the tube, and HR does...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Still waiting to hear back from Trail Gear sales manager.

Tick. . .Tock. . . . .... .. .. . :drool:
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm

OK, the guy got back to me today. It's a no-go on a group buy. :( They need 10 or more sliders to offer a 15% discount. I guess we all have to decide what direction to go from here.

Sorry guys, It was worth a shot.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by bgwolfpack » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:46 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:OK, the guy got back to me today. It's a no-go on a group buy. :( They need 10 or more sliders to offer a 15% discount. I guess we all have to decide what direction to go from here.

Sorry guys, It was worth a shot.
Don't waste your time with them again. Not much of a sales manager, if he couldn't put some type of deal together. Write them off.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm

:Iagree: Any sales manager that won't knock 20% off the bottom line does not deserve business. In three months, when he is going over number with the bosses and things aren't as productive as they'd hoped, he'll kick himself in the ass for writing us off. I'm going to price out some raw materials tomorrow and try to track down some equipment.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote::Iagree: Any sales manager that won't knock 20% off the bottom line does not deserve business. In three months, when he is going over number with the bosses and things aren't as productive as they'd hoped, he'll kick himself in the ass for writing us off. I'm going to price out some raw materials tomorrow and try to track down some equipment.

:Iagree: Especially if they're the Manufacture!!!

We've had problems with them long ago and wrote them off. Had something to do with a 25% restocking fee on something that was returned the very next day in perfect condition :awesome: .. And we sold allot of their product :hissyfit: :finger:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:21 pm

I still would like to find a set of sliders with the 1035 DOM tubing. The extra strength for the little extra money is worth it to me.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:I still would like to find a set of sliders with the 1035 DOM tubing. The extra strength for the little extra money is worth it to me.

Their price doesn't seem too bad even without the group buy.... though their service isn't something to be proud of, its still the same product!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
bobbyblaze wrote:I still would like to find a set of sliders with the 1035 DOM tubing. The extra strength for the little extra money is worth it to me.

Their price doesn't seem too bad even without the group buy.... though their service isn't something to be proud of, its still the same product!

Prices aren't too bad for what they're offering. About $200 shipped to my door. . . . plus install and paint :mechanic: . Still not bad.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Pretty sure the ones I got off ebay are. They said they had the same as trailgear is selling now and if BartonMD was correct and the dom doesnt have the inside weld, the ones i just recieved are DOM. When we get together, maybe he can tell for sure
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:

Pretty sure the ones I got off ebay are. They said they had the same as trailgear is selling now and if BartonMD was correct and the dom doesnt have the inside weld, the ones i just recieved are DOM. When we get together, maybe he can tell for sure

Yes DOM (Drawn Over Mandrell) is seamless. One of it's attributes is it's uniform wall thickness. Less weak spots. I will look at the ebay ad again.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:45 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:

Yes DOM (Drawn Over Mandrell) is seamless. One of it's attributes is it's uniform wall thickness. Less weak spots. I will look at the ebay ad again.

The ad is wrong, according to the seller. He just has not changed it from when he sold the older trailgear ones.

Mine seem uniform and seamless.
HARDTRAILZ

by bobbyblaze » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 am

[Pretty sure the ones I got off ebay are. They said they had the same as trailgear is selling now and if BartonMD was correct and the dom doesnt have the inside weld, the ones i just recieved are DOM. When we get together, maybe he can tell for sure[/quote]

Yes DOM (Drawn Over Mandrell) is seamless. One of it's attributes is it's uniform wall thickness. Less weak spots. I will look at the ebay ad again.[/quote]

The ad is wrong, according to the seller. He just has not changed it from when he sold the older trailgear ones.

Mine seem uniform and seamless.[/quote]

Good deal. If that's the case, I think a set from the ebay seller is in order. I will be picking up the 78" ones and using all four legs.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by janesy86 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:33 am

How can you tell if there is a weld on the inside?? Unless they are cut open yuo can't look into them... and now that I think about it I think there was a slight color difference that ran down the tubing. So I'd think mine are HREW. Idk. Whatever tho.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:07 am

janesy86 wrote:How can you tell if there is a weld on the inside?? Unless they are cut open yuo can't look into them... and now that I think about it I think there was a slight color difference that ran down the tubing. So I'd think mine are HREW. Idk. Whatever tho.

Can see inside the unmounted legs and they appear to be the same metal as the longer bars.
HARDTRAILZ

by janesy86 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:18 am

True true. I forgot about that. Good point. :thumleft:
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:58 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:...Can see inside the unmounted legs...
Perv. :raspberry:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 pm

The Roadie wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:...Can see inside the unmounted legs...
Perv. :raspberry:

I do plan to mount them, so I guess I am a Whore too :safe:
HARDTRAILZ

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion