Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Possible group buy. Rock Sliders from Trail Gear

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by bartonmd » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:46 am

JamesDowning wrote:The larger the radii of any bend, the less stress concentrations will exist.

A mitered edge has an effective 0" radius, and thus there is a big stress concentration right at your weld.

That's why you do as large a fillet weld as you can... I usually either do a weld down in the corner, then a larger (hotter) weld on top of it, pulling in as much material as I can... or just doing the old "3-weld" deal, where you do one weld in the corner, then a weld on each side of it, overlapping slightly in the middle of the first weld....

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Just an FYI: I just checked the UPS tracking for my ebay/Trailgear sliders I picked up off that ebay seller. The seller is in colorado but the sliders were drop shipped directly from Trailgear in Fresno Ca.

This ebay guy is just a salesman that trailgear won't acknowlege the existence of. Weird but cheaper by $50-60.
Either way, I should have my gussets and the sliders by friday.
Time. . .is my greatest enemy.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

Name: bb
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bobbyblaze » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:13 pm

Oh, yeah. Wish it wasn't raining all weekend.
Attachments
slidesm.jpg
(44.74 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Get'em on!!!! :poke:
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bobbyblaze » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 pm

All in due time, my good man. Been raining like hell all weekend here and I don't own a garage. Believe me when I tell you that I want nothing more than to do the install on these puppies :drool3: .

I am gonna' shave a little bit off the ends of these too. Looks a little tight between the rubber. I would not have gotten the 78" sliders if I had 32' or 33' tires. Maybe go with 74" or so.

I did do a complete bathroom vent fan install in my house though. My wife has been complaining bout the smell :hissyfit: . Guess I gotta cut back on that fiber HuH ?
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:21 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:All in due time, my good man. Been raining like hell all weekend here and I don't own a garage. Believe me when I tell you that I want nothing more than to do the install on these puppies :drool3: .

I am gonna' shave a little bit off the ends of these too. Looks a little tight between the rubber. I would not have gotten the 78" sliders if I had 32' or 33' tires. Maybe go with 74" or so.

I did do a complete bathroom vent fan install in my house though. My wife has been complaining bout the smell :hissyfit: . Guess I gotta cut back on that fiber HuH ?

There is not 2 inches on each end to cut off unless you get into the wld and the curved bar. Maybe an inch on each end....
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by bobbyblaze » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
bobbyblaze wrote:All in due time, my good man. Been raining like hell all weekend here and I don't own a garage. Believe me when I tell you that I want nothing more than to do the install on these puppies :drool3: .

There is not 2 inches on each end to cut off unless you get into the wld and the curved bar. Maybe an inch on each end....

Sorry, I was saying that if I had 32-33" tires I would have wanted 74" sliders. I might get to shave 3/4" off each end if i'm lucky.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:10 am

Remember to paint them before installing... it should save you a headache down the road.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by janesy86 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 am

:Iagree: If I were to do it again I would paint before installing. Its a bitch after with masking off and getting the top of the legs that connect to the frame. I would have done mine before hand but I only had so much time with my buddy who welded them on so they had to go on that day or I prob still wouldn't have em on yet.

But they sure look sweet now.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bobbyblaze » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:54 pm

I totally agree with you guys. My plan is to weld the legs and gussets together, Then paint before welding to the frame. This way all I have to paint is the frame area/welds and recoat the rest of the paint that melts during final weld. I am keeping the plastic OE rocker panel but tweaking it a little by way of heat so I can get the slides as close as possible without losing the weather seal attached to the top of the rocker.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 pm

bobbyblaze wrote:...without losing the weather seal attached to the top of the rocker.

Good call there. It will greatly reduce water intake and prolong the life of your door seal. :cheers:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bobbyblaze » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:31 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
bobbyblaze wrote:...without losing the weather seal attached to the top of the rocker.

Good call there. It will greatly reduce water intake and prolong the life of your door seal. :cheers:

Thanks JD. That's the main part of why I want to keep the rocker there. Especially the water/debris snow/slush shooting directly at it off the front tire. Freaky Tree fab did a great job to work with your TB body lines and sliders to keep the rockers intact.
bobbyblaze
Trail-Blazer

by Gordinho80 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 pm

NeilageInc wrote:Awesome guys. Well just let me know what you are looking for and I will make it happen. Sorry I didn't post sooner but it didn't even cross my mind. I will put a page in the vendor section for any fab work at a very reasonable price. Thanks again Neil.

Neil, What would we be looking at for a set of sliders shipped to NJ? I'm really liking JD's design...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 am

Gordinho80 wrote:
NeilageInc wrote:Awesome guys. Well just let me know what you are looking for and I will make it happen. Sorry I didn't post sooner but it didn't even cross my mind. I will put a page in the vendor section for any fab work at a very reasonable price. Thanks again Neil.

Neil, What would we be looking at for a set of sliders shipped to NJ? I'm really liking JD's design...

X2. After seeing you work, I'd much rather support a site member.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:
Gordinho80 wrote:

X2. After seeing you work, I'd much rather support a site member.
:thumright: X3, at some point I plan to put you to work for me also. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other

Previous

Return to Off Road Discussion