Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cool Rigs/Inspiration/Ideas You've Spotted

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Hummer build was cool, but I dont think it worked well offroad. 1 pic???? The rear looks like any real flex and it would hit. The setup is pretty sweet and a ton of money involved, but needs to drop down to 35's to actually wheel it. I am surprised at how much JK stuff was used. Most of that stuff is not that great without modifying, but the hydro assist from redneck ram would be a good, cheap, easy upgrade for it. The slant back is different, but would have rather seen it with stock body. I really would like to see it to know if it rubbed anywhere. Rubbing means the tires dont fit.

I wonder what our height would really have to be to clear 37's. I can prolly swing some 35's, with no rubbing, once the firewall is recut a bit, but I am near 78 inches already on overall height without any crossbars in the rack.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:46 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Haven't seen many things that struck a cord for me like this did 2 1/2 years ago.
JamesDub Gettin Dirty.jpg
Guess I still don't have much of a wondering eye.
JamesDub Gettin Dirty.jpg
Thanks to JamesDub I'm hooked on these trucks and all their potential.

:cheers:

WOW That is deffnently my goal for height and tire size is there a build on that some where?
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
33" Procomp M/T X MARK SPACERS.
Only Blue lifted 2002 Trailblazer in WMASS.
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

Name: Damian
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Damian,

James was on the OS up until 1 1/2 years ago then had some issues and was gone. I tried to contact him to no avail. I did speak with theroadie about him and Bill tried to get a hold of him to. As far as I know no one has seen or heard from him. Too bad too, I've always wished he'd come here with us. His truck has had several threads on it and James was a pretty good poster. I haven't gone near the OS since I've been here. I know you can find stuff on this truck and I believe Roadie would help if asked real nice.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:20 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Hummer build was cool, but I dont think it worked well offroad. 1 pic???? The rear looks like any real flex and it would hit. The setup is pretty sweet and a ton of money involved, but needs to drop down to 35's to actually wheel it. I am surprised at how much JK stuff was used. Most of that stuff is not that great without modifying, but the hydro assist from redneck ram would be a good, cheap, easy upgrade for it. The slant back is different, but would have rather seen it with stock body. I really would like to see it to know if it rubbed anywhere. Rubbing means the tires dont fit.

I wonder what our height would really have to be to clear 37's. I can prolly swing some 35's, with no rubbing, once the firewall is recut a bit, but I am near 78 inches already on overall height without any crossbars in the rack.

I think he hasn't had a chance to really test it. They had steering box issues because his steering box wasn't strong enough for the application or tire size.

Then I believe he had to go overseas for duty (per my light reading)... My understanding is that the steering box is in the works.

I think most of his articulation is down, the up articulation is limited by bump stops... He had a picture of it on a ramp, didn't look like any rubbing. That sorta lift is now considered "state of the art"... minimum lift, big tires.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:50 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Damian,

James was on the OS up until 1 1/2 years ago then had some issues and was gone. I tried to contact him to no avail. I did speak with theroadie about him and Bill tried to get a hold of him to. As far as I know no one has seen or heard from him. Too bad too, I've always wished he'd come here with us. His truck has had several threads on it and James was a pretty good poster. I haven't gone near the OS since I've been here. I know you can find stuff on this truck and I believe Roadie would help if asked real nice.

Thats a shame.... That thing is sick looking. EEEE Asking the rodie...... Haha it seems like me asking the wizard. It scares me to ask him a question.
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

by rgraboske » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:09 pm

This is another one I saw last summer. It was built by Chrysler as a concept.
Attachments
28436_400096698699_37360468699_4069794_1996000_n.jpg
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob Graboske
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Rob93 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Hummer build was cool, but I dont think it worked well offroad. 1 pic???? The rear looks like any real flex and it would hit. The setup is pretty sweet and a ton of money involved, but needs to drop down to 35's to actually wheel it. I am surprised at how much JK stuff was used. Most of that stuff is not that great without modifying, but the hydro assist from redneck ram would be a good, cheap, easy upgrade for it. The slant back is different, but would have rather seen it with stock body. I really would like to see it to know if it rubbed anywhere. Rubbing means the tires dont fit.

I don't see why the height your at now wouldn't work.... when you do the SAS move the front up and you'll clear the firewall and can cut as much as you want...
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
DriveTrain: 2WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:17 am

[quote="JamesDowning]I think he hasn't had a chance to really test it. They had steering box issues because his steering box wasn't strong enough for the application or tire size.

Then I believe he had to go overseas for duty (per my light reading)... My understanding is that the steering box is in the works.

I think most of his articulation is down, the up articulation is limited by bump stops... He had a picture of it on a ramp, didn't look like any rubbing. That sorta lift is now considered "state of the art"... minimum lift, big tires.[/quote]

He used a beefed up JK steering box. There are plenty running that tire size with stock set-up JK, but my buddy with 37's is going for Hydro assist this winter just for some extra help.

He is overseas.

My buddy has a seriously built rubicon and sits taller than that and his 37s rub. I think the h3 is a great rig, but all show and no go right now. It has been over 1.5 years. I would not have wasted the time for something that doesnt work. I think on 35s it will work. I really like the minimal lift and cut to get bigger tires for GC, but I wonder with how he limited the up travel, has not tested it offroad, and is already having other issues; if it will ever work. Looks cool, but with the limited up travel and not knowing how the tires will really act offroad when flexed at weird angles if it will work. He said it cycled 40s and 42s, but I could cycle a 37 up and down right now, but not be able to wheel a true 35 inch tall tire. It looks like a grand project, but seems to be all for show and not function.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am

rgraboske wrote:This is another one I saw last summer. It was built by Chrysler as a concept.

Definitely no up travel. Looks sweet, but would it really function?
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 am

Rob93 wrote:

I don't see why the height your at now wouldn't work.... when you do the SAS move the front up and you'll clear the firewall and can cut as much as you want...

The front will definitely move a shade forward. May go up a couple inches but that is no real issue without the roof rack and basket on there. I have a buddy going to a rackkrawler long arm kit instead of short arm, so I may be getting the take off stuff to play with....
HARDTRAILZ

by fishsticks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:09 pm

IMO inspiration is just that. Who cares if the the thing you're looking at is practical/totally functional. Anything we do on these trucks would need to be modified from the original implementation anyway.

So what's the point of dissecting the technical points of a truck in an inspiration thread? I dunno.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Quite true. I think the big thing is that he liked the low height and I dont think you will get 37s and stay that low if you really want to have it work.

It certainly did give me other ideas...
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

The FJ turtle rig...I loved this one

I really liked this Moab concept H3 too.
HARDTRAILZ

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Unbelieve able FJ Wow some cazy shit they come out with for all others 4wd vec.
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

by JamesDub » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:03 pm

DmccartneyFF2TB wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:Damian,

Thats a shame.... That thing is sick looking. EEEE Asking the rodie...... Haha it seems like me asking the wizard. It scares me to ask him a question.

I'm still alive.......
You guys miss me , awww thats nice :flex dirty: .

Gotta go to work for a 12 hour shift but will post on here later .
The DubMobile is getting a makeover !
JamesDub

Name: James

by bdp1978 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 pm

JamesDub wrote:
I'm still alive.......

Ha, pretty good example of "Ask and ye shall recieve" right there!
bdp1978
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2004

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

bdp1978 wrote:
JamesDub wrote:
I'm still alive.......

Ha, pretty good example of "Ask and ye shall recieve" right there!

I guess so thats is pretty crazy..
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

by bdp1978 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

This 4 Runner is EVERYTHING I could ever want for my truck. Absolute perfection in my eyes (Other than the overly large fiberglass front fenders) and one of the main reasons I am currently sweeping craigslist for 4 runners. :wallbash:

BUILD THREAD:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/s ... hp?t=46504

bdp1978
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bgwolfpack » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:34 pm

[Hang on.......I'm searching for the nitroglycerin pills!!!

:thumright: Hello JamesDub it's nice to see you're alive. :thumleft:

Thanks Bill
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Trail X » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:28 am

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4266

Nice Lexus build, somewhat similar to the trail-lex posted earlier.

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to Off Road Discussion