Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Help Build the Trailblazer tool kit

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Blackout » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 pm

That's why I didn't go to snap-on when they offered me financing for my Aviation tool kit. I didn't like the idea of having to wait on the truck, since it doesn't go to the school that often. That, and once I get out of school I have to buy a whole new kit anyway since Eurocopter's are all metric. Might go the snap-on route then, once I'll be making more money. Craftsman's cheaper too, so when you want something for the back of your truck, and someone breaks in, you only have a couple hundred to replace the stuff, instead of thousands of dollars for the same tools.

Sort of on topic/off topic, but it's my two cents
Blackout
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:24 pm

it is a HF item. You should be able to walk into HF and replace it.
Never had one break so I don't know.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:18 pm

navigator wrote:it is a HF item. You should be able to walk into HF and replace it.

I have never even seen a HF building, not so easy find as lowes or sears.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:28 pm

As far as Snap-On goes, if you can afford them buy them. They may not be in stores easy to find but I own some Snap-On tools and if you can break it you will need the time it takes to replace the tool to recover, The Superman of tools. :rambo: :rambo:
Plus their socket wrenches can be repaired and don't need to be replaced, I have one that sat in a barn for 20 years and wouldn't turn- took it apart cleaned and oiled it and it's like new.
NC_IslandRunner

by DJones » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am

snowmirage wrote:More expensive to get them replaced? Any of the craftsman tools I have ever had that broke I just walked into sears and said hey this broke and they went and grabbed another one for me.

It's the 90 mile trip to Sears that is expensive.
David
DJones
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2003

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:08 am

Don't forget the CV axle pulling tool w/ slide hammer.
NC_IslandRunner

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 pm

snowmirage wrote:More expensive to get them replaced? Any of the craftsman tools I have ever had that broke I just walked into sears and said hey this broke and they went and grabbed another one for me.

exactly. one time there was a really long line at the customer service register as i walked in, i was like "great", an associate came up took the 2 ratchets i had, walked behind the counter and handed me two rebuilt ratchets. i was in the store for 45 seconds.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:47 pm

NC_IslandRunner wrote:
navigator wrote:it is a HF item. You should be able to walk into HF and replace it.

I have never even seen a HF building, not so easy find as lowes or sears.

i didnt even know the had brick and mortar stores until recently, turns out there is one right down the street from me and i had no idea. I saw online they were having a father's day parking lot sale and thats how i found out.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by snowmirage » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:i didnt even know the had brick and mortar stores until recently, turns out there is one right down the street from me and i had no idea. I saw online they were having a father's day parking lot sale and thats how i found out.

I just had the same thing happen I was about to order some tools online from them then at the last might I saw "Store Finder" in the top corner of the page and sure enough there were 2 stores within 20 miles of me :thumleft:

Glad I saw that last min :)
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon

by SomeOffPave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 pm

snowmirage,
Did you get enough usefull answers to your question yet? Most posters IMO seem to be somewhat off topic debating weather to buy a low budget Harbor Freight set of wrenches and sockets, go first class with Snap-On, or split the difference with Craftsman. Then they point out a set that is a good buy for the money spent. Not that the info is not useful and there points well taken.

When I read your initial thread (and when I re-read it before posting now) I thought you were asking for help building a "everything I need and nothing I don't need" tool set specificially for your Trailblazer, not get the biggest set of tools for the least amount of money so you could repair any brand of broken down car or truck you came across. I expected replies like "Nothing on a TB needs a wrench smaller than 8mm and I never used a 9mm, 11mm, or 16mm, either." and "There are no #1 or #3 phillips screws. You only need a #2 phillips in your on-the-road set." or "The only size allen hex keys you will need are 2.5mm, 6mm, and 10mm."

Or am I just missing the point? :scratch:
Last edited by SomeOffPave on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeOffPave
Cruiser

by KE7WOX » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:47 am

19mm is the size of the lug nuts, a ratchet comes in handy for changing tires (or an impact gun, of course).

I know that a larger one is needed for removing the strut from the LCA, and maybe for the sway bar, can't remember if it's 22 or 24mm.
The shocks use imperial hardware
It's a good idea to keep a Torx wrench for the few things that use it (the most important: the shifter cover, I believe it's a T10).

Sorry I can't provide exact numbers, but I'm not even in the same country as my TB right now.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by snowmirage » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 pm

SomeOffPave wrote:snowmirage,
Did you get enough usefull answers to your question yet? Most posters IMO seem to be somewhat off topic debating weather to buy a low budget Harbor Freight set of wrenches and sockets, go first class with Snap-On, or split the difference with Craftsman. Then they point out a set that is a good buy for the money spent. Not that the info is not useful and there points well taken.

When I read your initial thread (and when I re-read it before posting now) I thought you were asking for help building a "everything I need and nothing I don't need" tool set specificially for your Trailblazer, not get the biggest set of tools for the least amount of money so you could repair any brand of broken down car or truck you came across. I expected replies like "Nothing on a TB needs a wrench smaller than 8mm and I never used a 9mm, 11mm, 16mm, or 18mm either." and "There are no #1 or #3 phillips screws. You only need a #2 phillips in your on-the-road set." or "The only size allen hex keys you will need are 2.5mm, 6mm, and 10mm."

Or am I just missing the point? :scratch:

You're right on, that's what my original intention was. For example I found I needed a 24mm socket while doing my lift. To go buy a "tool set" that included that would mean spending a ton of money for some professional set and it would include a lot of other stuff I probably wouldn't need.

What I ended up doing was kind of buying individual tools or at least smaller sets. Then piecing together what I found I still need.

Maybe some of you who have worked on your trucks for a while could just chime in with tools you know you needed.

For example I know I needed

24mm
18mm
10mm sockets and/or wrenches doing my lift

off the top of my head.
snowmirage
Off-Roader

Name: Brandon

by Diacom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:46 pm

When your out in the field with your tool kit all set up, it won't be you breaking down but another vehicle short the sockets you didn't purchase for your kit.

Though I do understand the idea of traveling light and only carrying what you need. I was just pointing out what will happen when your out there.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Previous

Return to Off Road Discussion