Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Ruby Cr., Garnet Cr., and American Cr. revisited

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Mon May 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Sun., May 15th, myself, Thomas, and BillR got together for a trip up the logging roads N. of Hwy 7, between the villages of Agassiz and Hope. Bill and Thomas were in Bill's lifted YJ, out for its' first run of the season, and I was in my TB, of course.

We hadn't been on the forest roads in the area since last summer, when the 2 main ones, Ruby Creek FSR and Garnet/American Creek FSR, were quite busy with construction traffic for a twinning of the main power lines that run across the mountains. It was nice to see that the work is now finished in the 2 watersheds north of Hwy 7, and the roads are now much quieter, with no logging in those valleys, either. The downside, of course, is that the winter storms have done some damage to the roads, which probably won't be repaired until a new timber cut opens up, but that's why we drive 4x4s, right? Most of the blowdowns have been cut through by ATVers and 4x4ers where they were blocking the trails, so they weren't any real challenge, but each of the branches of the roads ended in washouts much too deep to attempt, even with Bill's short, very lifted old Jeep.

On the Ruby Creek system, we explored all of the branches, stopping at the point where each one was no longer passable. We saw no wildlife, other than a few piles of recent bear scat, and by the time we were done there, it was time for Bill to drive Thomas back home, so he could catch a few ZZZs before going on shift at 10PM.

I had no such obligation, so I said my goodbyes to the guys, and headed a few km further east, to the Garnet/American FSR system. Conditions were much like those at Ruby Creek, though there was much more bear scat in evidence. I managed to get over the pass between the 2 creeks, but at just 11km from where the American Cr. FSR returns to pavement, came to a blowdown across the road, with a mudslide 80 meters further along, followed by a 5' deep x 15' wide washout just beyond that. I took that as a definite sign to backtrack the way I had come, call it a day, and head home for supper. Altogether, I cruised about 60km (40mi) of deteriorating logging roads today, so the truck and I are feeling a bit jostled and dusty.

Here's a few shots from the day:
Attachments
IMG_0175.JPG
Bill's YJ
IMG_0185.JPG
Deer Lake, in Sasquatch Provincial Park
IMG_0190.JPG
washout at the bottom of a steep hill - my bumper just scraped , even with the 2.5" lift and bigger tires
IMG_0197.JPG
huge blowdown
IMG_0199.JPG
someone with a chainsaw cut through this one
IMG_0203.JPG
I knew I'd get hung up if I tried to get over this one
IMG_0205.JPG
5'x15' washout - end of the trail for me
IMG_0214.JPG
small lake at the Garnet/American Cr pass, with lots of wildflowers in bloom
IMG_0218.JPG
deer tracks down the road
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BC backroader » Mon May 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Somehow, the pics taken with the iphone held vertically are flopped on the their sides. What's up with that?

Here's a few more:
Attachments
IMG_0155.JPG
Bill in the lead, since I have windows to keep the dust out ;-)
IMG_0167.JPG
end of Ruby Cr trail, too deep and off camber for the YJ and TB, only ATVs had been through here
IMG_0162.JPG
scraping the bumper
IMG_0166.JPG
Me dropping into a trench
IMG_0174.JPG
Bill climbing out of a deep cross trench
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by mason10198 » Mon May 16, 2016 3:13 pm

Man, I'd love to get out there.. Looks like a ton of fun and gorgeous views! Need to get some lift so you can explore beyond those obstacles and show us some more of those trails! :awesome:
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Mon May 16, 2016 4:47 pm

I'd like a little more lift than the 2.5"Marks and 2" larger tires give me, but can't, as this is the family daily driver, and my wife can just barely get in and out of the TB now, as her arthritis has her in a wheelchair these days. I have a small folding step stool in the door pocket, and with that in place at her door, she can get out of the chair, onto the stool, then onto the running board, and finally into her seat. Another inch of lift, and she couldn't do that.

The logging, mining, and fire roads here change every year, depending on weather, fires, and timber cutting permit timing, so there's always new trails to explore, and old ones getting washed out or overgrown, so there's never a lack of places to go for fun and adventure, that's why I love it here, and have had a 4x4 of some sort or another for over 50 years, as well as ATVs and dirt bikes, mtn bikes, and hiking/horseback riding when I get the chance. I never get tired of the mountains.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Trail Rides / Trips