Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Carter Off-Road Park ~ Nov. 2015

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by mason10198 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:40 am

WARNING: PICTURE HEAVY

WOW! Carter's place has grown a LOT since the last time I went!
http://www.CarterOffroadPark.com

It's a lazy sunday, nothing around the house to do.... "Let's go do some wheeling!"
(Mom and little sister tagged along too)

The craziest part about this ride is that I only hit about a quarter of the park before I ran out of time and had to leave! This place is massive!

My first stop in this 1000+ Acre park was the top of Lookout Point. (AKA the campgrounds) There is a castle-type building going up here for people to stay in, along with camper connections and a few campers already parked up here.

My next POI was the ATV trails toward the side of the park. I wanted to test out my maneuverability since I have never taken the TB through anything real tight.
The entrance to the trails was a medium deep (I think..?) creek crossing that started to worry me a bit once my nose dropped, but then I realized I was picking back up and all would be fine. *phew!*

Fresh out of the creek, and onto the trails!
The trails did get quite tight in some places, and also VERY treacherous. Thank God I had enough room to go around the ginormous ruts that the ATV riders have created. Now I wish I had taken a picture of them for proof!

Next stop was the obstacle course, where obstacles range from moderate to absolutely crazy for people to test out the capabilities of their rigs. A very attractive 4Runner rig was already having some fun when I arrived.

Okay, back to my TB. My first obstacle was the log bridge. Man was this scary! It felt like I was gonna fall right through! But after watching youtube videos of trucks four times the size & weight of ours driving over the top, I knew I would be good.

Next obstacle wasn't anything special, just a really steep pile of dirt. But why not!

I stretched out my suspension a little too.
It's not that impressive since the rear swaybar is still connected, but flex is flex.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...

A posing/portrait shot to make momma happy!
(I was also secretly happy to have a picture taken with my baby)

mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:33 am

seems like a good day trip. 1000 acres, damn, that's huge. I've never been a fan of pay-to-enter wheeling, though. I'd take my dirtbike though! Thanks for posting up! and I think your next investment should be some armor!
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

Very nice. Looks like the rig did well. It is definitely fun to get some real obstacles to test your stuff on.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by mason10198 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:seems like a good day trip. 1000 acres, damn, that's huge. I've never been a fan of pay-to-enter wheeling, though. I'd take my dirtbike though! Thanks for posting up! and I think your next investment should be some armor!
I know, when I first saw their website two years ago, I didn't believe it could be that big.
I'm not real excited about pay-to-enter either, but man Carter's is literally 2 minutes down the road from my house, and fun as all get out!
I'll go for some more armor soon. I'm thinking I'll wait until summer. During the school season I don't have much time to do anything crazy with her anyway. Right now, at the top of my priority list is some 275/80/16 BFG KO2's, trans cooler, wheel spacers, and scangauge 2.
mason10198

by KingBird » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 pm

Shoot, I wish we had a place like that around here. Lubbock's 4x4 park is the old Hummer demo track, it's almost a full acre.

We have a big pit, nothing real serious except for the climbs up out on the back walls. Basically, if it hasn't rained recently, there's no need for 4wd.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by AA1PR » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:24 am

looks enjoyable & your rig did amazing well

you're brave without a winch I might add
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mason10198 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:48 am

AA1PR wrote:looks enjoyable & your rig did amazing well

I do need to rig up a winch system.. Im not too worried at Carters though because there are several other people there with backhoes and tractors that they use to help people out. not to mention several other wheelers with winches

~Sent from Tapatalk for Android~
mason10198

by AA1PR » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:33 pm

mason10198 wrote:
AA1PR wrote:looks enjoyable & your rig did amazing well

I do need to rig up a winch system.. Im not too worried at Carters though because there are several other people there with backhoes and tractors that they use to help people out. not to mention several other wheelers with winches

~Sent from Tapatalk for Android~

I'm disabled..so for me I added a front hitch receiver & have my smittybilt 12K winch mounted on a tray there

it works surprisingly well, though I need to get my son to fab some side supports since it wants to twist ever so slightly
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Trail Rides / Trips