Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Bundy Hill Jan 9-write up!

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by lil_freak_66 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 pm

ok so heres the write up.

mostly sunny,15 degrees w/o windchill.

9 inches of snow with drifts being up to 2 1/2 feet.

got up around 7 to make the hour drive,though i made it almost 2 hours because i wanted to take back roads through the country.
got to the diner next to the enterance and met with motocross(from the OS) for breakfast and to discuss how the trails were,he is an employee at bundy hill,but he had his grand cherokee instead of the trailblazer sadly.
if you ever go to bundy hill be sure to stop at that diner,great food,with even better prices,the service is unbeatable,and it has a really good atmosphere.

i got there about 45 mins before the rest of the jeep club,and messed around with motocross in the staging area a bit with the trailblazer and his grand cherokee,his trailblazer wasnt there..

i got a little 3 wheel action while doing a poser shot on the flex ramp,had the rear driver a good foot or two off the ground.

the camera died after i had gotten a few pics,this is the only one of the TB,in the staging area,and theres a few more below that of a few of the Northwest Ohio Crawlers,i was riding around with them as usual.

This was actually the last picture of the day,when chef went over the hill which had a really bad break-over angle,a truggy yanked him out.

this was where we first went during the day,down to the pond that my friend Christie always seems to sink her XJ into,we spent a good hour and a half trying to get this kid out,he ended up ruining a bunch of stuff in his front suspension,and ruined his front driver tire.
Note to everyone: dont drive across a pond unless you know how thick the ice is,and how thick it needs to be for you and your rig to be safe!

This was taken about halfway through the trip,JK rubicon with a vinyl decal on the side and a hood scoop,one of the newest members of Northwest Ohio Crawlers.
coming down a long,steep hill which we had spent an hour messing around on,doing hill climbs on it,seeing who could make it the farthest.
Chef won our little competition,getting to within 15 feet of the top.

No pictures of this happening,but the mud pit was frozen solid,and filled with snow and hidden ruts.a Dodge Dakota on bald Mud Terrains got stuck way out there,and we had to rig up a few straps together to tie chef's jeep to so he wouldnt slide forward while winching him out. Took us roughly an hour to get him free.
While winching the Dakota out,a man in a samurai thought it would be fun to come up on us doing about 30 mph,he caught a rut,nearly flipped him head over heels,almost took out Chef and his U of M themed TJ,that person was removed from the park immediately following that incident.

Early on "1 leg Luke's" jeep front diff went out,and he was 2wd back to the parking area.
That cut the day short,we only got in a few hours of wheeling,left between 2 and 3 pm.

Had lunch at my favorite diner around! i cant think of the name of it,but this place is directly next to the entrance to the offroad park,and they give free drinks with purchase of a meal to anybody who goes to the park!
I recommend the Philly Cheese-steak,Melts or Western omelet ,they are good.
Great desserts,has a homey feel to it,the staff loves to sit around with ya and chit chat about wheeling,in fact,i met a father and son there the last time i was out to bundy hill,his son was interested in offroading,i hooked him up with a guy that was coming up the following day and to my knowledge, that child has a new found likeness!

but it was nice and slippery,challenging,and most of all,a safe,good time.

Really wish i had more pics,but sadly i do not.
Last edited by lil_freak_66 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am

Do you have more pics from this trip? This is the one that would count toward your "trail ready" status. This one doesn't seem to be fully documented yet.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by lil_freak_66 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 pm

i posted all the pics i could find,and gave a more thorough write up,sadly we didnt get much time in before parts started going out.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 pm

Did the TB even get on a trail?

Oh...in the 3rd pic, the green jeep with thornbirds deserves to be stuck for buying interco all-terrains. Those tires flat blow. Look cool for an all-terrain, but I have seen them get stuck on wet grass in a front yard. Slap him and tell him he would be better off with street tires.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by lil_freak_66 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:43 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Did the TB even get on a trail?

Oh...in the 3rd pic, the green jeep with thornbirds deserves to be stuck for buying interco all-terrains. Those tires flat blow. Look cool for an all-terrain, but I have seen them get stuck on wet grass in a front yard. Slap him and tell him he would be better off with street tires.

lol i would but i havent seen the kid again since.

yes the TB did some actual wheeling,i was the first one there for the entire park,other than employee's so i just drove them for a little while,following motocross and a jeep with a 502 in it.Headed down to the scramble areas and took a few green level trails(i was on near-bald tires,didnt want to get stuck out there alone when its 15 degrees out,long walk back up front ya know?)
Then once the club got there i drove around with them,wheeled what i could,and watched or rode along with them for what i couldnt get done.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by Gordinho80 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Where is the TB? :poke:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by lil_freak_66 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:00 pm

First pic,lol.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

by Regulator1175 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 am

lil_freak_66 wrote:First pic,lol.

Um thats your TB, sitting in the parking lot, not being wheeled.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by lil_freak_66 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:30 pm

I have no pics of it wheeling,rather hard to take pics of your vehicle while your driving.

The pic can only prove i was there,whether james wants to believe i wheeled it or not is up to him.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Return to Central U.S.