Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Harrison East FSR 4 day camp out

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Five buddies and I managed to get togethere for the BC Day long weekend (Mon Aug 3rd holiday), and a few of us even got away Fri. AM, to make it a 4 day weekend. On Fri. AM I met the 2 guys, Robert and Walt, coming up from the Seattle, Wa. area in Robert's new-to-him 4 dr Wrangler, at the first Tim Hortons (Cdn donut shop chain) North of the border crossing. After a quick coffee, we headed to Hwy 1 for the 45 min. drive to the Village of Harrison Hot Springs, our jumping off point for the hundreds of km of logging roads in the region. From the Village, we took Rockwell Dr., a very scenic road along the lakeshore, past beautiful waterfront "cottages", to Km.0 on the East FSR. From there, it was 15 km to our turn off at Bear Creek FSR (see my trip report on that route in an earlier trip post), and 7 km to the end of that road, where it stops at an old blocked off timber bridge. On the way in, Robert had the rubber sleeve that held the handle of the Hi-Lift to the column fly off, so we made a quick stop to bungy it back in place before the handle could take out one of the headlights, as the jack is mounted across the top of the brush guard.

At the end of the road, we parked near the old bridge, and decided that the best way to set up camp in this area of heavy bear population would be to put the kitchen/eating area near the trucks, and the tent/sleeping area on the other side of the bridge, in a spot that looked like it would have shade most of the day. Even at 11 AM, when we got there, it was very hot, so we spent the rest of the day setting things up in short spurts of activity, with lots of breaks in the camp chairs, in shady spots under the trees, and cold drinks handy at all times. ;-) At about 9:30 PM, I got a call on the vhf from Bill, driving in with Jason after their days' work, checking to see if they had made the right turn towards the camp, as they had never been to the spot before. I confirmed they were on track, and they pulled into camp 1/2 hr later. They had their tent up in short order, and we sat out in the bright light of the full moon, enjoying the cooler evening air, a few drinks, and some good campfire stories, without the campfire, of course, since there's been a fire ban posted for the last 2 months, due to the very dry, hot spring and summer we've had this year. The night was uneventful, the only wildlife visitor being a deer strutting past our tents at 3 AM, though there was fresh bear scat within 100 yds of camp in the morning.

Part of our purpose in being near Harrison Lake this weekend, was to attend the annual picnic/BBQ of the BC Scientific Cryptozoology Society at Green Point Park at 11:30, Sat., so we had an early breakfast at camp, took a short hike up one of the old logging roads while it was still cool, and then convoyed down to the park for the BBQ, leaving Jason (retired Marine/LEO) guarding the camp from the comfort of his hammock at the side of the creek. Some of our families met us at the picnic, with lots of goodies to eat, but I somehow got "volunteered" to be the grillmaster, so I spent a good part of the afternoon searing Angus burgers, so missed out on some of the discussions of Lake monsters, Sasquatch, 2 foot tall lizards that run upright on their rear legs, and black alligators (actually giant black salamanders), all of which are reputed to live in our corner of the Province, and all interesting to our camping group. The sixth member of our campout arrived at the picnic, and I was introduced to Bill S., a survival trainer/blogger, from Richmond, BC. After the picnic wound down, and the non-campers headed home, we had Bill S. join the convoy back to the campsite in his camperized AWD Astro van, which did surprizingly well on the rough last 7 km. of trail into the campsite.

Sunday was the day for 'wheeling, so we set off in 3 of the trucks, my TB, Robert's Wrangler, and Bill R's Chev K1500, to explore side trails off our branch road, and off the Harrison Main, finding some great climbs, and amazing views, but no really tough terrain, the hardest sections getting no worse than 2.5 on the ORTB scale. The only problem encountered was a tranny overheating warning light on Robert's Wrangler, which was running 35s he'd put on to replace the stock 31s as soon as he bought the truck. When I asked him what gearing he had, he said he didn't know! I urged him to install a tranny cooler as soon as he got home, and to find out what his diff ratio actually was. I told him he may have to regear to run the tall tires, or go back down to a 32 or 33 tire, if he didn't want to regear. While on the trails, we spotted a narrow column of smoke on the far (West) side of the lake, and within an hour, could see a couple of helis bucket dropping water/retardant on the fire, and a bit later, the monsterous Martin Mars water bomber was making passes on it, as well. By late afternoon, Robert and Walt broke camp for the drive back to Seattle, as they didn't have the Mon. off, and I left for home to clean up for my tour run of the same area Monday morning with the Polaris Crew ATV, as I drive for "Sasquatch Country Adventure Tours" out of Harrison Hot Springs. I figured an "un-showered after 3 days of camping" guide might be too much of an "adventure" for the paying clients. :-) Bill R and Jason stayed on at the camp for Mon., heading home in the evening.

When I drove the tour group up the East Main on Mon., the fire had grown in size considerably, in spite of the water bombing efforts, and over this past week, it has grown to cover 13 sq.km., about 8 sq.mi. It is believed that it was started by careless campers, in spite of the well publicised and oft-repeated warnings of extreme fire risk, and a complete campfire ban.
Attachments
lookout site 1 009.jpg
exploring a side trail
BC DAY camping 012.jpg
trail to camp
BC DAY camping 016.jpg
fire across the lake - zoom in to see the Mars bomber doing a drop
BC DAY camping 009.jpg
TB at camp
BC DAY camping 005.jpg
morning hike route, it's steeper than it looks!
BC DAY camping 007.jpg
View down Bear Creek from the bridge
BC DAY camping 004.jpg
Bedroom across the creek
BC DAY camping 002.jpg
the old bridge
BC DAY camping 001.jpg
Kitchen/eating area
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by moose1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:48 pm

Sounds like a great time with beautiful scenery. One of these years I'm going to get up that way and take care of a couple those bears for you.
moose1
Off-Roader

Name: kevin
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BC backroader » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:04 am

I'm sure you'd love it, moose1, but as a non-resident hunter, you'd have to hire a professional guide, not a cheap proposition these days. Of course, if you were my cousin, I could get a special permit to accomany you as a family guide. ;-)

The bear season is very generous, from Apr 1st to June 15th in the spring, and Sep 1st to Nov 31st, and even to Dec 31 in some units, with a 2 animal yearly bag limit. That doesn't even make a dent in the population!

Here.s a link to a bear incedent in BC this morning: http://globalnews.ca/news/2155638/man-s ... rley-home/
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by moose1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:12 pm

that there is nuts, i can't image waking up to a grizzly in the house. lucky he had more than a 9mm handy.
moose1
Off-Roader

Name: kevin
Vehicle Year: 2008

by djthumper » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:38 pm

[quote="BC backroader"The bear season is very generous, from Apr 1st to June 15th in the spring, and Sep 1st to Nov 31st, and even to Dec 31 in some units, with a 2 animal yearly bag limit.[/quote]

Your November has 31 days?
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by BC backroader » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Sure, dj, we're metric in Canada, eh! That's what I get for disengaging my brain before I'm done typing, LOL.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Trail Rides / Trips