Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Silverhope-Skagit in SW BC, Canada

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Wed May 20, 2015 12:37 am

I got out on a 2 day camping trip with a buddy and his daughter this past weekend, and got in a lot of gravel road miles, and 1 fairly gnarly solo trail run.

The gnarly part of the trail run was a 15km in and out on the Maselpanic Creek FSR, which has been deactivated for years. The first few km are good, until the track swings up the north shoulder of the creek canyon. Only 100 yards up the climb, there's a washed out section, with rocks from canteloup size, up to basketball size, but the G80 and lift were up to it. At the end of the washout, there was a 10 yard long slide, with large boulders against the high side, and ridges of dirt sloped from the high side to the drop off on the low side. This squeezes the truck between the boulders and the 100' drop, tipped 15 degrees off level, with only 1 front and the opposite rear wheel in contact with the ground. I made it through here on the second try, but it's really a high pucker manouver! From there, the trail gets easier as it climbs to the shoulder of the canyon, then levels out for about 5 km., with only some drainage trenches to challenge the approach/departure angles, and alders narrowing the trail, to play havoc with the paint.

The only tire tracks beyond the slide were from ATVs, and I met a couple parked along the trail, with the guy and his girl enjoying a toke of BCs finest bud. ;-) Eventually, the alders got so thick that te trail almost disappeared, so I did a 27-point u-turn, and headed back out, just as the rain started bucketing down from the thunderclouds. This made the downhill squeeze through the slide area even more challenging, as the ground was now getting slick from the rain, but I managed it OK, with only 1 bump against the boulders, which were on the passenger side, so out of my view as I skirted the edge of the cliff on my side.

I'd rate this trail as a 2.5, with the washout/slide section as a 3.5, due to the "no second chances" nature of the drop off.

Sorry, I somehow lost the photos to go with this when I tried to add them. I'll try to edit again tomorrow.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Trail Rides / Trips