Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Harrison Lake BC - solo day trip

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 am

I couldn't get any of my usual buds together to get away today, so I was going to chill for the day, but by 2PM, after a nice lunch out with my wife, I was gettin' the urge to get out on a trail somewhere, so I dropped her off at home, and headed out to Harrison Lake, BC, about an hour's drive from home, and surrounded by several hundreds of km of logging roads and fire trails.

I chose the East FSR to start from, as I know a great lookout point that gives a splendid view of the lake, the surrounding mountains, and Long Island in the middle of the lake. The main FSR in is an easy 1.0 on the trail scale, but the 6 km up to the lookout is a bit more challenging, about a 2.5, with lots of cross ditching to prevent washouts, a few small mudholes, some rocky sections, and is narrow and closely lined with alders to pinstripe your paint, in some areas.

The only excitement on the trail was sighting a bobcat trotting down the narrow path in front of the truck as I rounded a curve. It stopped and turned sideways to look back at me, then continued for another 100 yds in front of me, before jumping to the left into the brush. It was great to get such a rare glimpse of the elusive feline.

The 2.5" lift, installed a few weeks ago, handled everything on the trail with ease, and the Z71 rear springs are just right on my long wheelbase "weiner" truck, giving extra firmness, without being too harsh. I am very pleased with the improved trail ablities so far, and consider it money well spent. Being a solo run, there are no action shots, but here's a few scenic pics from the trip:
Attachments
may3-15 006.jpg
heading back down to the main FSR.
may3-15 013.jpg
uphill from the lookout
may3-15 012.jpg
end of the trail at the upper lookout - the trail does continue between the alders seen behind the truck, but too overgrown for my taste.
may3-15 003.jpg
Mt. Breckinridge from the upper lookout
may3-15 004.jpg
Mt. Breckinridge from the lower lookout
may3-15 017.jpg
S from Bear Creek
may3-15 015.jpg
looking N from the mouth of Bear Creek
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad