Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: New Years Day family cook-out/polar bear swim

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:30 pm

A group that I hunt/hike/4 wheel with is planning a day trip to one of our local mountain lake parks for New Years Day. It'll be a family cookout, and possible polar bear swim, if I can persuade anyone else to get in the icy lake water with me. We have several sites in mind, all of which are easy gravel trail runs, so no extreme off roading required, and the weather is forecast to be sunny and cold (0deg C or 32 F). It's also my 70th birthday, so some cake and candles might be involved. ;-)

If any forum members will be in the upper Fraser Valley area that day, you are invited to come along, just contact me for location details.

Update:
Three families set out today (of 5 that had expressed interest) for the Chehalis River Forestry campsite, not the lake site, which is 30 km off pavement, so this was not a trail run, just a New Years Day/my Birthday weanie roast and campfire story get-together. The Chehalis River site is very nice, located right at the one-lane bridge over the river, just a few yards off the Morris Valley Road. We had my TB, Thomas' Sidekick, and Bill's Sierra K1500, and a total of 9 people. As we pulled in, we spotted a site with a still smoldering campfire in the steel ring, so we chose that site, and simply added more wood to the coals, and had our blaze going in no time. :D

We were all hungry after the drive in, so weiners were roasted, and everyone tucked in like lumberjacks. Bill had brought a special treat for my birthday, a six-pack of Sasquatch Stout, a very tasty brew indeed! The name is fitting for this group, since we always say that's what we're doing when we head out, looking for Sasquatch, as this area has a history of activity with the big hairy guy, dating back to native tales, before europeans even arrived here. We sat around the blazing fire, reminiscing over the last year, and making plans for the new one till well after dark, and then headed home in the evening moonlight, with beautiful clear skies above. It was a fine way to start the New Year, out in the woods with good friends, and I'm sure we'll do this again.

Here's a few shots from the day:
Attachments
New Yeaers Day 2015 014.jpg
New Yeaers Day 2015 010.jpg
New Yeaers Day 2015 007.jpg
New Yeaers Day 2015 002.jpg
New Yeaers Day 2015 003.jpg
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by BC backroader » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Bump for add-on. I updated as an edit yesterday, but that didn't show as a new post, so here we go:
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 am

Sounds like a good time
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SmokeyMcBlazer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:30 am

what, no pictures from in the lake? love the stout too!
SmokeyMcBlazer
Off-Roader

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by BC backroader » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 pm

No, we didn't make it to the lake, SmokeyMcB, only to the river, about 30km downstream, where the water runs much too fast to risk a swim, so I was spared the icy dip ;-)
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Trail Rides / Trips