Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Chehalis River , B.C.

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:52 am

I headed out with a couple of buddies today in my TB, to have a last try for mule deer (actually coast blacktail, but they are listed under the same regs). We chose the Chehalis River valley, as it's only about 30 min. from home, and has a good main logging road in, with lots of side branches. Our only concern was what the condition of the road might be, as 9 days of torrential downpour had just ended on Friday, leaving the possibility of washouts or slides. As it turned out, that was not a problem, but the large number of blowdowns was, at least on the side roads. I guess the logging contractor had cleared the ones on the main road, but not yet made it onto the smaller ones. We didn't have a chainsaw along (yeah, I know, dumb move!), so had to turn around at each block. Even so, the weather was perfect, it was great to be out there with friends, and I snapped a few pics.

This was an easy run on gravel roads, done in 2 wheel drive, with just a few rock clunks under the truck, so hardly an epic outing, but I'll put up a few shots, and call it good. One of the best parts was the late lunch when we got back to pavement. We stopped at the Sasquatch Inn, a roadside bar/resteraunt/motel established in 1936. The food was good, the prices fair, and the waitress buxom, so it was a very enjoyable break!
Attachments
Dec 14-14.jpg
Parked at the end of Statlu FSR
Dec 14-14 001.jpg
View west from the road, where deadfalls blocked it
Dec 14-14 002.jpg
View south from the road
Dec 14-14 003.jpg
Statlu Creek, a feeder to the Chehalis River
Dec 14-14 006.jpg
Lunch stop
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Ugh, too bad you don't have the second or third picture with a trailblazer in it. That would be calendar material. The first shot is just too much trailblazer and not enough scenery.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the pictures!!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:13 am

I agree, Trail X. The 2nd and 3rd shots were taken standing on the other side of the truck, at the same spot, but for the 1st one, I was as far back as I could get without scrambling up a steep embankment behind me. I guess I could have jockeyed the truck into a better location at that site, but I don't normally think like a photographer, and our mission was Blacktail deer, not calendar shots. I do apreciate the pointers for better shots, and try to remember them for future efforts.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by N7RMK » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm

amazing photo's!!! wish i had areas like that to go cruise around in.
N7RMK
Cruiser

Name: ryan
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by BC backroader » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 pm

There is a lot of that kind of vertical landscape in BC, so it's what I'm used to, and I gaze longingly at the desert country with the washes, canyons, and incredibly colourful rock formations that you get to cruise in. That's why we share the pics here, right? :mrgreen:
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by BowTide » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Nice shots indeed! My brother lives up in Tumbler Ridge BC, seen some very nice scenery via photo from him also
BowTide

Name: Patrick
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by BC backroader » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:22 am

Bow Tide, a good buddy of mine ran a trapline on the Murray River, where Tumbler Ridge now stands, about 50 years ago, when it was the back end of nowhere. I used to hunt moose in the area back then, too. It is some wild and wonderful country! What is now an easy 1 hour drive on pavement to reach Tumbler, used to be a full days extreme 4 wheeling, with lots of winching.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Trail Rides / Trips