Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

CANCELED: Dirty Bacon's Great American Adventure

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by navigator » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:lucky me, I've got coverage through the VA.....

have you had to use the VA yet? I hope it works better for you than it does for a few veterans I know that have had to use it. They seem to get good care once they get an appointment but getting an appt can take time. The other thing is for us the VA locations are not convenient.

I think ER type situations are different but for routine type things getting an appt seems to take way longer than it should.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 pm

v7guy wrote:you guys make me want to quit my job and go be miserable half as much as I am now. lol

I am pretty interested in these alternate methods of connecting online. I assume they work best for streaming a single pre written post to a blog or site. I'm sure there's a number of members that are interested in being able to post from the road long term.

LTE is LTE, it's full blast internet dude. :thumleft: Both the wife and I need pipe speeds of at least 3Mbps down to get any work done in a reasonable fashion. Data is a little expensive either way, and you have to be more mindful then your cable internet at home, but you won't have an electric bill, water bill, sewer and all those other utilities, so I'd reckon it's still cheaper.

Like I mentioned earlier, most guys who are like me, programmers and need to be connected are using a Verizon Data reseller and then usually have a smaller plan on AT&T as a backup for either going over, or when Verizon coverage isn't that great. Sprint & T-Mobile are crap unless you are in a major city. Most keep their phone separated from their wifi plan.

I personally have not found a lot of useful info on Expo about full time road travel. There are some hard core expediation folks who are on long trips, but their trips are usually just that, expeditions.

I guess another question for ya Bacon is how much off-roading are you planning on doing vs driving around to see things?

Once I realized that the miles driving around to see all the things I want to see would out strip miles driven off-road I realized that I could give up the Trailblazer and my miles off road could be easily tackled with a truck and mild lift.

:thumleft:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Mon May 19, 2014 12:19 pm

The Wifi Ranger to boots free wifi singals might not be enough by itself. You might need a directional antenna or a wifi yagi.

Here is what looks to be a good site for info of Communications on the Road.
Mike why not start up a thread on what you found I am sure it would help others. :lurk: :cheers:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/communication.htm
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mikekey » Mon May 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Chris is the man: http://www.technomadia.com/2014/01/the- ... val-guide/ was my starting point. Send me a message and I will share with you his book, but I won't post it publicly for obvious reasons.

The Wifi Ranger actually has an antenna sold separately, haha! See what they did there to get more money! Well it's like most routers that have antennas that unscrew.

It's good to point out the difference here, one is for Wifi signal jacking/boosting. And the other setup is for LTE. You'll want to investigate both to cover yourself. Unless you want to spend lots of time at Starbucks & Panera Bread.

The thing is how long will you be on the road, a year or more, what level of investment do you need to make.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by mikekey » Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 pm

mikekey
Lifer

by Trail X » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 pm

If you find yourself coming through VA, I've got a guest room and a yard that needs mowed and some mulch that needs spread.

Learn videography and video editing and buy yourself a quad copter. Employ yourself by posting awesome travel videos across the 50 states. That's what I'd do. But honestly, I'm not sure how well you can earn money on that stuff. I know Mike threw out some number, but you've gotta get a TON of views to make any appreciable money on youtube.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 pm

it's taking me a while, but I'm reading through all the links that Mike was gracious enough to offer! lol
An option (one i'd prefer) is to have no monthly bills, except my phone, which my parents have offered to pay during my trip.
So that if I have a bad income week, it won't be that detrimental. If I have to wait a few days to drive by a starbucks/panara/mcdonalds/etc with free wi-fi, or at least a spot with good data coverage so my phone can be my wifi hotspot, i'll manage.

I was wanting to have a sat phone, too, but the plans there can get rather pricey. My SPOT will have to do.

James: I'll take you up on that, most likely. I'm damn good with a lawn mower and no one can spread mulch quite like Sgt D. Bacon
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mikekey » Wed May 21, 2014 7:33 am

How you going to get away with no automotive insurance? If you are like me, have you considered the gun laws when traveling. I am pretty much sure that a lot of the time I'm going to have to keep mine boxed and locked up in the trailer. Even then, some states like Maryland, even if I have the gun in a locked box with the magazine not in the gun, if there are bullets in the magazine, it's considered loaded, and a felony. Complete bullshit, but yeah.

Anyways, a bunch of RVers on one of the gun forums recommended I pick this up: 2013 United States Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States (Gun Laws for all Fifty States, 17th Edition)

You're a leo so maybe that will help, I dunno. I'm really torn right now between selling all my stuff or risking trying to travel with it. Considering we have a child now, I don't want to really pick a fight with powers that have greater resources than myself, no matter how just the cause.

:lurk:
mikekey
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:15 pm

shit i forgot about car insurance. it's been on autopay for so many years, i forgot about it. Damn....

The gun laws is something i've already thought of. If i turn in my badge, i loose my 50 state carry permit. So I'm going to mostly stay in the states that my CWL has reciprocy in.

But on my list of things I need:
-Winch + accys
-Ram Mount/toughbook
-Roof top tent
-Sliders
-Second battery
-Fridge
-4.10 front diff!!

Optional/still in research
-Solar Panels
-Radiator fan override
-roof/spot lights
-electric gun locks
-bridging ladders

First item of business, since this trip will be the pinnacle of self-sufficiency, a winch will be mandatory. Based off my research, my decision most likely will be a Warn VR10,000. I've also wondered, besides weight, is there any such thing as an overpowered winch? I have no winching experience, but been doing alot of reading. I know the formula is GVWRx1.5, which 10k is plenty over for our trucks. The price difference is less than $100, wondering if it'd be worth it to jump for the 12k winch.

PS. still lookin for ideas on what to name the trip.
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by navigator » Wed May 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Bacon, I did some reading on that very thing, I wish I could remember where I read it.
I was looking at 9k vs 12k.
From what I read the 12k is heavier but will pull the 9k load faster with less effort.
Most of the store bought receiver mounts though are only rated for 9k though.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Trail X » Wed May 21, 2014 6:08 pm

You can always double line the pull. I don't think there's any need for 12k.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:44 pm

navigator wrote:Most of the store bought receiver mounts though are only rated for 9k though.

AH, i hadn't even thought of that yet. Good point.

Trail X wrote:You can always double line the pull. I don't think there's any need for 12k.

also a valid point. Warn 10k it is.
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by RyansTBLS » Thu May 22, 2014 5:50 pm

from Lansford Hastings' Emigrants' Guide to Oregon and California,
published in 1845:

"In procuring supplies for this journey, the emigrant should provide himself with, at least, 200 pounds of flour, 150 pounds of bacon; ten pounds of coffee; twenty pounds of sugar; and ten pounds of salt."

Don't forget the Bacon! :chef:

Something to consider food! Or make certain you have your hunting and fishing guides and permits :shoot:

I think it was bgwolfpack that suggested keeping your job and living out of your TB for a couple months, it'd help sort that out. Even if you just started by doing so in your driveway to see how many times you need to go into the house. Also would help figure out your level of bathroom facilities needed. :coffee:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan

by mikekey » Fri May 23, 2014 8:52 am

RyansTBLS wrote:I think it was bgwolfpack that suggested keeping your job and living out of your TB for a couple months, it'd help sort that out. Even if you just started by doing so in your driveway to see how many times you need to go into the house. Also would help figure out your level of bathroom facilities needed. :coffee:

Not a bad idea. Check out the park prices and land around you if not doing your front yard. We considered this as a test to see how we could live in the Trailer. Rather than quit our jobs and give chase, I proposed we get the trailer and this being Florida, retirement RV capitol of the world, that we pick a park and try living there for a couple of months, maybe move to different parks. But, prices for month to month lots are EXPENSIVE in FL. At least in this particular area. Again, I think that is because of our area, Clearwater is a major tourist destination, they didn't get cheaper until we started looking as far away as Land-O-Lakes, which FYI, the middle of the state is nasty hot. It's nice an cool here on the Gulf, so we scratched that idea off the list. But it is a viable experiment.

We'll probably just practice in our Driveway since it turns out Clearwater allows anything shorter than 30ft to be in your driveway, so I don't have to store the Airstream. :woot: But it also explains why all my neighbors have massive fishing boats in their driveways.
mikekey
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Well, during this adventure there are things that I won't need to worry about maintaining. Like an ironing board and pressed uniforms, oh and a second car. The living out of my truck for the next few months while working won't really be a realistic option. I'm trying to increase the frequency of my camping since that'll be the most accurate practice.

Also if you come to Center Hill, FL there's a decent RV park there, and all the snowbirds are leaving. Plus it's in my zone, so i can keep you safe at night :safe: :thumleft:
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by RyansTBLS » Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm

As typical of a nice Friday afternoon, I had a crazy and probably stupid thought, but thought I'd throw it out there. Since you and mike key are both planning on setting off at about the same time, if you two get along well enough, you could go together. Not just convoy mind you, but as a LEO a natural step would be for Bacon Private Security, if you're looking at making your own job. You'd have to check, but I think private security gets around several gun laws and several states, thus allowing Bacon to buy the Mike Key collection. Of course if Bacon and the Keys swapped TBs, I think the Keys TB could tow Bacons current one. So private security (job for Bacon), both TBs, full gun collection, and travel across the US of A. Probably a stupid idea, but thought I'd throw it to y'all. 'Merica!
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan

by mikekey » Fri May 23, 2014 9:19 pm

RyansTBLS wrote:As typical of a nice Friday afternoon, I had a crazy and probably stupid thought, but thought I'd throw it out there. Since you and mike key are both planning on setting off at about the same time, if you two get along well enough, you could go together. Not just convoy mind you, but as a LEO a natural step would be for Bacon Private Security, if you're looking at making your own job. You'd have to check, but I think private security gets around several gun laws and several states, thus allowing Bacon to buy the Mike Key collection. Of course if Bacon and the Keys swapped TBs, I think the Keys TB could tow Bacons current one. So private security (job for Bacon), both TBs, full gun collection, and travel across the US of A. Probably a stupid idea, but thought I'd throw it to y'all. 'Merica!

:scratch:
mikekey
Lifer

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri May 23, 2014 9:38 pm

mikekey wrote:How you going to get away with no automotive insurance?

He could save up and pay it 6 months at a time, last time I looked that nets a substantial discount too. Just need to have that $$ set aside for the 2nd 6 month period.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:45 pm

mikekey wrote:
RyansTBLS wrote:As typical of a nice Friday afternoon, I had a crazy and probably stupid thought, but thought I'd throw it out there. Since you and mike key are both planning on setting off at about the same time, if you two get along well enough, you could go together. Not just convoy mind you, but as a LEO a natural step would be for Bacon Private Security, if you're looking at making your own job. You'd have to check, but I think private security gets around several gun laws and several states, thus allowing Bacon to buy the Mike Key collection. Of course if Bacon and the Keys swapped TBs, I think the Keys TB could tow Bacons current one. So private security (job for Bacon), both TBs, full gun collection, and travel across the US of A. Probably a stupid idea, but thought I'd throw it to y'all. 'Merica!

:scratch:

hahah i kinda scratched my head through that one too. I'm not sure how well we'd get along. We've never met. Usually, 2 alpha dogs dont get along too well during extended periods of time. Plus, based off what I know of Mike, I dont think that man would need private security! I imagine Mrs. Key is rather handy with a firearm. Then again, according to Roadie's philosophy, there is security in numbers.

One thing i thought of for you, mike, is to buy one of the RV Airstreams, and tow the TB! I saw one on the road the other day and it looked pretty neat. Not sure how common/expensive/reliable those are though.

USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by JorDaneeKey » Sat May 24, 2014 4:50 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Usually, 2 alpha dogs dont get along too well during extended periods of time. Plus, based off what I know of Mike, I dont think that man would need private security! I imagine Mrs. Key is rather handy with a firearm.

Alpha dogs indeed. I can handle a weapon when needed. Besides, if Bacon came along, he'd be considered more like a Jason Statham Transporter, protection for our little one. :viking:

DirtyBacon04 wrote:One thing i thought of for you, mike, is to buy one of the RV Airstreams, and tow the TB! I saw one on the road the other day and it looked pretty neat. Not sure how common/expensive/reliable those are though.

Um.......no. But thanks though!
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Rides / Trips