Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Albuquerque, NM - Aug 2011

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by wink » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:56 am

While visiting family, my brother and I decided to do some desert geocaching. The planned terrain was rated 1.5 - 2 with the only real concern being deep sand. Against better judgement we decided to load just my truck and head out.

Trip started out fairly easy and uneventful as most of the road were just washboard/unmaintained dirt roads. We then decided to venture of the planned route to what would have been a nice short cut to our next cache. The trail was a slight incline with pockets of deep fine sand. We made it half way up in 2wd then lost traction. No biggie, just put it in 4wd. Well this is when I discovered my disconnect had gone bad. I heard a faint pop(which i believe were the gears slipping) and front wheels were motionless.

I took a few minutes to cuss the truck then backed down the hill. Luckily I wasn't to deep in the sand and was able to back down with no problems. At this time we decided to head back to my brothers to get his truck. He drives a Honda Ridgeline, which I must say is a pretty good truck for being a unibody Honda.

On the way back to his house the one thing I was worried about happened, big pocket of fine sand. I made it about halfway through then the back end just started sinking. Tried to reverse out and just sank deeper.

This where I learn that self recovery in the desert is near impossible without a winch and pull-pal. Everything we tried failed. After about an hour, as my brother was about call one of his buddies, a jeep and a side-by-side pulled up. After their initial shock of seeing a lifted Trailblazer and chatting a bit, we hooked up the side-by-side and was pulled to firmer ground.

After getting the brothers truck we headed back out and didn't have anymore problems. We even found the only mud hole around and had some fun playing in it.

My truck even earned a "TRAILBLAZERS" patch. :raspberry:
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Trail Rides / Trips