Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Socal to Colorado - Official write-up :)

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by teebes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Recap of my recent trip from San Diego through the Mohave Preserve, up through the southern portion of Utah to Colorado and back. It was a scenic whirlwind and I really wish I had a few more weeks to put around the region. Another trip will be an absolute must along with getting some trails in with Ke7WOX which I missed out on during this adventure.

Getting started: Mohave Preserve / Mohave Rd
Before the journey I stopped over at Neil's to get some much needed front protection for the radiator. I still need to get back over to let him finish up the removable bash plates, but these were used numerous times along the trip. Tube was cleaned of markings and clear coat applied prior to departure as I knew water crossings were in my future :coffee:

Image Image

En route up interstate 15/215, military vehicles going about 50mph near one of the long grades west of Big Bear.
Image Image

A few miles east of Barstow, CA, the offroad portion of my Mohave Rd journey begins. I started near Afton Canyon and proceed through the preserve, across into Nevada and down towards Lake Mohave and eventually Laughlin, Nv.

Image Image Image

The white truck pictured below is a good shot to show the water depth. Not too bad, but does keep out the Honda Elements :raspberry: There were a number of railroad bridges as the trail zip-zagged back and forth. This rail line was quite busy!

Image Image Image

First camp site, although looking back I don't think I was actually in the preserve yet: oops :shoot: Anyway, it was getting brisk and there was plenty of dead wood laying around so I did the obvious :camping: The following day was going to be a long one, roughly ~130 miles of sights, sand and nobody but me (or so I thought).

Image Image Image

Getting started on the trail the next morning was exhilarating. Leaving society and life's little problems behind you as you set out for the unknown - I love it! After playing in the washes for a bit I finally found a cairn which marks the trail all the way through - this is waay too easy :D They even leave spare parts laying around for you :raspberry:

Image Image Image

Upon stopping for a mid morning water break for me and the pup, I noticed this poor fella. Apparently he didn't appreciate 3 M/T's rolling over him - damn unthoughtful humans.

Image Image Image

to be continued.......
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by teebes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:11 pm

So far plenty of loose sandy stretches filled the region. The truck did well in the loose while hauling the trailer. I just made sure not to slow down in the really loose stuff. 4lo was used to keep the torque up with the trailer in tow. Have I mentioned before I really want taller gears!?! :idea: Finally some little rocks and an incline! But as quickly as the rocks came, the whoops followed. About an hours worth of 4mph whoops. With a third axle, this was quite the slow rollercoaster.

Image Image Image

And more whoops... Times like this I really miss my dirt bike. Speaking of dirt bikes, what's that on the horizon:
Image Image Image

More sand.. More gorgeous views. Finally made it to the salt 'flats'.

Image Image Image

You can see for miles and miles in the flats. Even a little dust storm brewing.

Image Image

Hmm, that dust cloud seems a little to centralized. Maruders!!! I better take cover at the local rock pile, you just never know :hissyfit:
Image Image Image

Well it turns out a geocache group was strolling though. But what kind of vehicle is that! Could it really be! Two Trailblazers, from two different parties, on the Mohave at a same place and time! Alas, I have proof (Speed couldn't believe it, either)!

I can't believe I didn't get more pics of our trucks, but they had a group and I didn't want to insist on a photo op (although maybe I should have :drool: ). Either way, Kas, if you find your way over to our new messageboard - WELCOME!! :friday:

... to be continued ... :salut:
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Few more pics from the Mohave. Added some flare with some Mardi-Gras beads I had in my truck :cheers:

Image Image Image

Articulate :salut:
teebes
Founder

Return to Trail Rides / Trips