Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

PLANNING: Summer Tour 2011 - National Parks Road Trip

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by mikekey » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm planning a to take an epic cross-country tour of the west and hit up all the major National Parks. Why? Because Virginia Beach, Va is boring.

Destinations

Grove, OK < Visit some family
Rapid City, SD (Black Hills, Keystone, Mt Rushmore) < attending a friends wedding, doing some exploring
Devils Tower, WY < Half a day spent here, great climbing though.
Grand Tetons National Park, WY
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Glacier National Park, MT
Yosemite National Park, CA
Grand Canyon, AZ
Colorado Springs
< We might be moving here after the trip, so we thought we'd check it out. If you know a good micro-brewery-restaurant here, tell me!

I haven't determined the amount of time spent at each of the major parks. I know we'll probably do all the touristy stuff at Yellowstone and Yosemite. Planning on some back country and climbing in Glacier national park. A little horseback riding on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, maybe some rafting and if I can find places to climb repel, that too.

Right now the time frame is June. We're planning to spend 30-45 days on this trip, and hoping that is enough time.

Before I got married in 2009 I took a two and half month summer tour of the country and topped it off with 15 days in the back country doing Alpine climbing in the Wind Rivers area of Wyoming.

Naturally, a trip this size requires a lot of planning and preparation. It does not however require as much money as some think. The first rule is don't travel like tourist.

Working up a master list of modifications that will be required to the Trailblazer for this trip. This will probably be the start of regular adventuring for me and my wife as a married couple. I'm not sure how much overlanding or off-roading we will do during this trip. We would definitely like to do some. We spent two days four wheeling in my Bravada on our Honeymoon. So I know the urge is there. However I don't think I'll be lifting the Trailblazer this year. So that might limit us.

Anyways, thought I'd start a thread.
Last edited by mikekey on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by janesy86 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip nonetheless. I would love to do that someday...
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

by mikekey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 am

Hopefully it will be, and after reading a couple adventure blogs, I'm pretty convinced we might do some overland or get more off-road on this trip.

Taking a look at our tires today they're about "ok" probably a year left on them if I wasn't going to drive 10,000 miles across the country. So spent some time with the search button on TrailVoy and a few other forums trying to come up with a tire selection for the trip.

Was eyeballing the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza.

The H/L has some great ratings for highway use and gas milage, and wet traction conditions. Mostly a touring tire for SUV's and the A/T is also highly mentioned on TrailVoy.

I know we'll be traveling a heck ton of highway miles, but we do want to option to go off the beaten path too.

Any suggestions would be awesome.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by mikepeters1983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 am

mikekey wrote:Taking a look at our tires today they're about "ok" probably a year left on them if I wasn't going to drive 10,000 miles across the country. So spent some time with the search button on TrailVoy and a few other forums trying to come up with a tire selection for the trip.

Was eyeballing the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2 and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza.

The H/L has some great ratings for highway use and gas milage, and wet traction conditions. Mostly a touring tire for SUV's and the A/T is also highly mentioned on TrailVoy.

I know we'll be traveling a heck ton of highway miles, but we do want to option to go off the beaten path too.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

Try www.treadwright.com. A few guys on here are running them right now, and I will be ordering mine on the frist of the month. They got good tires cheap.
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by madmanvillain » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 pm

mikepeters1983 wrote:Try http://www.treadwright.com. A few guys on here are running them right now, and I will be ordering mine on the frist of the month. They got good tires cheap.

i have a set of the pumas, i love them and have 2500 miles on them but i would not recommend any retread for a road trip like this. theres reasons why its illegal to have retreads on steer tires on tractor trailers.....
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikepeters1983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:13 pm

OK, I was going off of what a lot of the guys on here were saying.
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by mikekey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:30 pm

I don't even like the idea of retread. I appreciate the recommendation though. Price point isn't a big deal for me. I do try to find a good deal, but you can't cheap down peace of mind or safety.
mikekey
Lifer

by Regulator1175 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:40 pm

madmanvillain wrote:
mikepeters1983 wrote:Try http://www.treadwright.com. A few guys on here are running them right now, and I will be ordering mine on the frist of the month. They got good tires cheap.

i have a set of the pumas, i love them and have 2500 miles on them but i would not recommend any retread for a road trip like this. theres reasons why its illegal to have retreads on steer tires on tractor trailers.....

Yes, there may be a reason. However there is a huge difference between the weight of a semi, and the weight of our vehicle. They also put ALOT more miles on their tires then any of us would ever think about driving on them. I think there has been plenty of research done by many members here before purchasing, and it all points to the fact that they are perfectly safe and a quality product. I love my set, and there is no way I would pay twice as much for any other tire. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the tangent. It looks like a tremendous trip, and I am certainly envious that your able to do something like this. Enjoy and take alot of pictures. Around here if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 pm

if its between the two I would go A/T Revo that you way you have the option for some fun times off road. Look into the pro-comp A/T Pro-Comp in general are awesome tires. BFG A/T is a favorite. They have a 60,000 mile warranty or something like that. BFG have been around forever. Good luck in your choice selection.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006

by mikekey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Mooseknuckle wrote:if its between the two I would go A/T Revo that you way you have the option for some fun times off road. Look into the pro-comp A/T Pro-Comp in general are awesome tires. BFG A/T is a favorite. They have a 60,000 mile warranty or something like that. BFG have been around forever. Good luck in your choice selection.

Thanks, at least I have time to do some research and price shopping. I probably won't make a tire purchase until a couple weeks before the trip, probably in May.
mikekey
Lifer

by fishsticks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 pm

mikekey wrote:
Mooseknuckle wrote:if its between the two I would go A/T Revo that you way you have the option for some fun times off road. Look into the pro-comp A/T Pro-Comp in general are awesome tires. BFG A/T is a favorite. They have a 60,000 mile warranty or something like that. BFG have been around forever. Good luck in your choice selection.

Thanks, at least I have time to do some research and price shopping. I probably won't make a tire purchase until a couple weeks before the trip, probably in May.

A/T tire with good all around performance? Two words: Goodyear Duratrac.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by KE7WOX » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 am

Not sure if the Alenza's are good for offroading
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by mikekey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:21 pm

KE7WOX wrote:Not sure if the Alenza's are good for offroading

Doesn't look it. But I also know a BFG A/T isn't going to be ideal for 10,000 mile road trip either.
mikekey
Lifer

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 pm

If you want to head a little further north when your on the west coast we can set up a 3 day rafting excursion!!.. Look up the 'Wild and Scenic Rogue River'

Check out this vid of us Dropping one of the falls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyTH4_BRcQ

Can't embed it for some reason
Last edited by Trail X on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded the video
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by mikekey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 am

OregTrailBlazin wrote:If you want to head a little further north when your on the west coast we can set up a 3 day rafting excursion!!.. Look up the 'Wild and Scenic Rogue River'

Check out this vid of us Dropping one of the falls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyTH4_BRcQ

Can't embed it for some reason

What class rapids are on the river?
mikekey
Lifer

by Diacom » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:06 am

Might I suggest staying north in Wyoming rather than turning south after Devils Tower and heading twords Casper? You can take I 90 to Buffalo and Highway 16 or further on 90 to Sheridan to Highway 14 and take a nice scenic trip through the Big Horns. There are other options near Sheridan for some light dirt road travel that round abouts back to Highway 14.

Then take Highway 789 on the other side of the Big Horns down to Thermopolis, home of one of the largest natural hot springs. Pool and water slide available as well. Next is Northwest on Highway 120 Which will lead you to Meeteesee. From Meeteesee you can visit the Old Kirwin mine, easily driven by a stock TB. I made the trip there last year before installing my lift. Also you can visit Jack Creek camp ground and drive Phelps Mountain road, accessable by 4X4 only, but this is just the initial portion of the road, once on top it's fairly smooth and provides various view of Shoshone National Forest. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_004815.pdf

Back out to Meeteese, then North on Highway 120 again to Cody Wyoming. There is plenty to do with the Buffalo Bill Museum and a nice lead into Yellowstone National Park.

Just a few options available rather than a most boring drive from Casper to Dubois as it appears on your map that was your intended route of travel. Not that the drive from Dubois up through the Teton National Forest isn't wonderful, just that up until that point it's quite boring.

On your Montana route it appears you intend to go from Helena through to Choteau on I15/Highway 287 on your way north to Glacier? Rather than go that route north, which will be drab once again, might I suggest either taking Highway 12 out of Helena to Avon, then North on Highway 141 to meet up with Highway 200. Or at Wolfcreek take Highway 434 and meet up with Highway 200 and head through Lincoln, home of the Unibomber. Not much in Lincoln, though there are many roads to travel. Main point from here to to meet up with Highway 83 and head north through Flathead National Forest, the drive is amazing, campsights and the lakes are certainly to be seen. From there you can hit Glacier and then backtrack slightly to Kalispell and continue your trip as noted.

Just a few additonal ideas for you to think about.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel

by mikekey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Thank you very much Diacom! That's the kind of advice/feedback I'm seeking here and a couple other forums.

The map is actually more of a first draft guestimate with Google Maps, some of it is really about about speed. From Virginia Beach all the way to really the Black Hills there isn't a whole lot to see in my opinion. Parts of Western VA, West Virginia and Kentucky will be pretty, but thats about it. Then it's a snooze feast.

Haven't quite hammered out the details for once we are out there, which routes and things we'll see and figure out options for camping, etc along with times at each park.

Def be looking at a map with your input.

Especially since Shoshone is near the Wind Rivers where I spent 15 days doing my first Alpine Climbing, would love to get my wife close to that.

:thumright:
mikekey
Lifer

by SteveTB03 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:31 pm

You'll definitely love Glacier NP I got family that live in Kalispell and we always go there, very beautiful park!!
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by Regulator1175 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Just to add another suggestion for your journey. On your I to J leg, turn North a bit earlier on US 285 in Monte Vista. Make the trip North into Buena Vista where you will pick up US 24 into Leadville and then SR 91 up to I70 and then continue East. This route will take you through the heart of Colorado's 14,000 peaks and runs along side of the Arkansas River. If you enjoy white water rafting I can set you up with my brother in Buena Vista. I am sure he would provide you a place to toss your tent up, and is always looking for an excuse to run the river. Some of the Rockies best white water is on that stretch of Colorado.

I grew up in Buena Vista, and have been fortunate to play at the summit of many of the 14k footers there. I went back a few years ago and sadly discovered that I can't play like I did 25 years ago, but the area is still as beautiful as I remember it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Diacom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:25 am

Glad to give a few other ideas. Bear in mind that the town of Shoshoni is south of Thermopolis, which is different than Shoshone National Forest. The town is near the Windriver where you had gone before, the NF is further NW from there along the route I have indicated and the one you had noted through Dubois.

Windriver and Boysen Resevoir is nice, but the NF rates much higher on the needs to be visited meter, especially with it being so close to Yellowstone. Though if you do hit Thermop, your right there at the Windriver for a jaunt as well.

Oh, and if you don't go with the Goodyear Duratrac, take a look at the Michelline LTX AT2 for your trip, they should hold up well to the miles you intend. They just aren't as aggressive as some of the other tires out there.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel

Next

Return to Trail Rides / Trips